When do chickens lay?

The one hen that I have laying right now lays on a cycle. She will lay in the morning, then about 26-27 hours apart and will continue to do for several days, then will skip on day.

Three out of six of my girls are laying. They do sing after they lay an egg. My Rooster, JT, thinks he has to out sing the girls and it gets comical at times. The girls are fairly regular in laying in the mornings but will sometimes lay in the afternoon depending on how busy they are free ranging during the day.

What a great thread! I am new too and wondered the same thing. My brahmas are 20 weeks and one was squatting about 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I have also been one to keep them penned up until 11am this week in hopes they will learn right off to use the nesting boxes. I actually cut a hole in a plastic tote with straw and put it on the ground where they rest in the afternoon to give myself reassurance that they might use it. I feel awful keeping them locked up so, I let them out early this am, and will do so from now on.

I have six girls... I am currently getting 4 eggs a day.... All before 12:30 each day... So far.... I am new to this...

We got our first egg today from our 23 week old EE. I found it in the sand in the run so i'm guessing it was laid this morning. Hopefully she'll start using the nest boxes. I have fake eggs in them, but she must be a slow learner.

Back
Top Bottom