When do cochins start laying?

We raise standard cochins in the blue, splash and partridge colors. This is the best bird inthe world as far as calm, quiet and good pet, etc... Mine started laying around 7 months and htey have not missed a day since. They lay big, round brown eggs. I have heard lots of people on here talk about them not being good layers, but I have had a much different experience with mine. You can tell the boys from the girls at about 2 days old.

Are the boys bigger at that age? We thought we had and Olivia/Olive partridge cochin. "She" was energetic, always wanting to be with us and explore. Her sister was smaller(barred cochin) and much more quiet and laid back. As they grew, Olive feathered much slower, the comb grew and we knew we had an Oliver. He and Gracie are 4 month old. He is really handsome and hasn't made a peep. Gracie's comb is slowly growing and her wattles are coming in. Our EE is a week younger and she should be ready to lay in a couple weeks.

So glad to read the range.......I got two cochin hens (1 white, 1 patridge I think) in early/mid spring and thought they were way behind the power curve on laying. I have them in with my patridge silkie and there's been zero action in this coop!

My two babies, I think, hatched in April. They have combs, fluff, the whole deal, but NOT ONE EGG yet. What's the deal? Is it because it's winter? It's really warm here right now.

Watch for the squat. My cochin hatched June 20th and laid just under 6 months of age. She laid eight days after squatting, I check for squatting every day so it's exact. She's actually a great layer for a cochin. I think she may have skipped one or two days this week. She's in sync with my EE haha, they grew up together along with Oliver our partridge cochin who I hope is happy at his other home.

Last edited:
Of my two, one got real sick (peritonitis, I think), right before her sister layed her egg, and died.
hit.gif

The sister who survived just started laying a few weeks ago, so almost 11 months.
old.gif

Mine are almost 12 weeks old. I got them straight run and ended up with 5 roosters and only 7 hens. Wanted 11 or 12 hens and one rooster. How could you tell at 2 days old, what sex it was?

I see this is an old post but just wanted to give my input for someone who might be looking for an answer in the future. Mine started laying at 8 months almost to the day. This is beginning of December in Southeast Louisiana (these birds were hatched out in April). I had one mature hen that was already laying in there with them, not sure if that helped encourage production lol.

Hi I know this is like 7 years old but i was wondering what age they ended up starting to lay. I have a 25 week old buff cochin and she is showing all the signs of laying (even squatting when we go to pet her <for about a week or so>) but still no egg. Thanks
big_smile.png

When do actual cochin chickens lay their eggs. i am doing a project and my teachers ant a specific answer for how long does it take for a cochin chicken start laying their eggs.... please answer asap...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom