When do cockerels or roosters hormones peak?

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have two roosters and one has always been quite mellow while my other one is more intense. He takes his rooster job very seriously and will call the hens over for treats, squak for protection, but is also very aggressive with the ladies. He will run them down to mount, drag them around a bit if they’re not submissive etc.

He is not aggressive with humans so far but I’m just wondering if it’s time for him to move on or if he’s at a peak for his age. He’ll be 1 year in July so still young. In your experience do they mellow out or is this likely his temperament? I think the hens are getting stressed by him and I don’t need him to protect from predators, he just makes nice babies. But I’ve hatched out quite a bit and would keep his son if needed....

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• C466FDA8-6C86-4366-B54E-D9A69EBAE851.jpeg
    C466FDA8-6C86-4366-B54E-D9A69EBAE851.jpeg
    995.9 KB · Views: 48
Generally by 2 years roosters are mature and they start to mellow a bit. I put up with a bit of rambunctious behaviors out of roosters younger than that, but not if it's excessive. If removed before those behaviors become set some do grow out of it. I generally make my decisions at around 10-18 months with my rooster. I don't keep any that are just concerned with mating. Yours would go here. I don't like my hens stressed out.

You could try penning him for a few months. Hormones wane after the summer solstice under decreasing daylight, but most will continue mating constantly until the fall molt. If you do remove him it may be harder to add him back in since you have 2 roosters.

His aggression may have to do with the other male being present,
even if they have worked out a pecking order.
I only keep one male for making more chickens......any others get slaughtered at 14-16 weeks.

It’s possible, but I think it’s just his temperament. They seem to have worked out a system among one another and I have enough hens (22) for the both of them so I don’t mind having two. I just think he wants to make sure he gets with all the ladies and doesn’t mind if they aren’t interested or don’t squat, if that makes sense. I think he just throws off the vibe so am leaning towards seeing him go, just figuring out the right time.

Back
Top Bottom