When do I let mommy and her chicks loose in the flock?

Does this kind of tell you something?

I've seen this behavior before too. Any time a chick is where Mama cannot protect it but other flock members can get to it that chick is in some danger. Most of the time the other flock members leave a chick alone but occasionally there are real threats. To me this is one of the dangers of isolating a hen and her chicks. The hen can't get out to protect her baby but the chicks can put themselves in danger.

I let my broody hens raise their chicks with the flock from Day 1. As soon as she brings them off of the nest they are with the flock. I've never had a broody hen fail to protect her chicks from other flock members when necessary. Usually it is not necessary at all but there are occasions Mama does take charge of the situation. None of my hens want to face a mad Mama hen. My roosters either ignore the chicks or help Mama take care of them. They are his babies after all as far as he is concerned, even of he is not their real father.

My broody hens take care of integration for me. They teach the others to leave her babies alone. I want her to have as much time as I can give her to teach that lesson. I've had a broody hen wean her chicks as young as three weeks of age. Those chicks did fine on their own with the flock. If I wait until after she weans them then I have to integrate them myself. I prefer to avoid that.
Thank you for posting this. Most of the time all you see is warnings that hens will kill chicks if you don't leave hens to brood with the flock from day one. I have worked my but off to take all precautions in the past. Delt with anxiety that the way I choose (among a ton of suggestions) isnt the best for our broodys. Worried for months after hatch. When I was a child the we were told "don't take the eggs from this hen, she is going to hatch babies. The hen was always in the coop with all the other chickens. Sometimes multiple hens sitting on clutches. Never did I see a broody spot or nursery or grow out pins. I love my flock but am desperate for a moment of relaxation. My hens have it better than me.🤣I have never tried just letting momma do it all. Maybe I should give that a go and relax a bit.

Thank you for posting this. Most of the time all you see is warnings that hens will kill chicks if you don't leave hens to brood with the flock from day one. I have worked my but off to take all precautions in the past. Delt with anxiety that the way I choose (among a ton of suggestions) isnt the best for our broodys. Worried for months after hatch. When I was a child the we were told "don't take the eggs from this hen, she is going to hatch babies. The hen was always in the coop with all the other chickens. Sometimes multiple hens sitting on clutches. Never did I see a broody spot or nursery or grow out pins. I love my flock but am desperate for a moment of relaxation. My hens have it better than me.🤣I have never tried just letting momma do it all. Maybe I should give that a go and relax a bit.
Agree, thank you both for posting this. I have a moma hen with 5 x 3-day old chicks in the coop separated by wire mesh from the others I will for sure open their door today and let them mingle. Of course mama hen can protect them, humans are always interferring with everything. Like you said, we should all just relax a bit. Nature will always be superior to us.

While there are no guarantees, and I have had hens brutally attack chicks, it does seem like you have indications that it will be ok. I’d be cautiously optimistic initially, pay attention to the dynamic during the initial transition and then I’d just let it happen and relax.

Maybe I should give that a go and relax a bit
It depends a lot of your specific situation, I've never had a problem with the rest of the flock when a hen was hatching and raising the chicks with the flock except with another broody hen once. Dad never did either when I was growing up. But mine have a lot of room. I don't know what your coop and run look like. If they are tiny where the chickens are piled on top of each other then you can certainly have problems. Mama needs room to work. Most of the time my broody hens keep their chicks away from the flock but sometimes she marches them right through the middle of the others. You don't get guarantees with this stuff so pay attention at first to see what happens, but with just a bit of room most broody hens do great.

Back
Top Bottom