When do I open the nest boxes?

Ceakmama

Songster
May 2, 2021
Alaska
My flock is about 11 weeks now. I have at least 5 pullets out of my 8 chickens. I hope 2 more are pullets, but they look like cockerels (and act like it 🤦‍♀️ ). Anyway, I have 5 nest boxes in the coop and they are currently closed off. At what point would you open them? I've read about putting golf balls in them to show it's where the eggs go. When do you start doing that? Do I open all 5 boxes or is that too many?

I've heard they'll start getting more red in their combs. I have mixed breeds though, so maybe that makes it harder to tell when they're ready.

Thanks in advance. This is my first time!

I'll add photos for the fun of it.

Attachments

• 20210530_133617.jpg
    20210530_133617.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210530_133609.jpg
    20210530_133609.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210530_133633.jpg
    20210530_133633.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 16
My flock is about 11 weeks now. I have at least 5 pullets out of my 8 chickens. I hope 2 more are pullets, but they look like cockerels (and act like it 🤦‍♀️ ). Anyway, I have 5 nest boxes in the coop and they are currently closed off. At what point would you open them? I've read about putting golf balls in them to show it's where the eggs go. When do you start doing that? Do I open all 5 boxes or is that too many?
I open nest boxes at 15 weeks old, the same time I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I also put a ceramic egg in each box.
I think 5 boxes is good, they will select their favorite's.
My 7 Barred Rocks used 2 of 3 mostly.
My 5 ISA Browns used all 3.
My first Flock, 5 Golden Comets let me know 2 nests were not enough.
20180410_090821_001.jpg

GC

I think you can open up the nesting boxes with no problems. I never close off my nest boxes, the only issue comes when they want to roost in there. It just takes a few nights of checking to make sure they haven't crawled in to bed, and if they have lifting them out and putting them up on the roost bar. I can't tell from the pictures exactly what kind of chickens you have, but it does look like a mixed flock and not all egg layers. That may mean some will start playing sooner, others will take a long time. The buckeye chicks I had took until November to start laying!

I think you can open up the nesting boxes with no problems. I never close off my nest boxes, the only issue comes when they want to roost in there. It just takes a few nights of checking to make sure they haven't crawled in to bed, and if they have lifting them out and putting them up on the roost bar. I can't tell from the pictures exactly what kind of chickens you have, but it does look like a mixed flock and not all egg layers. That may mean some will start playing sooner, others will take a long time. The buckeye chicks I had took until November to start laying!
Oh wow! I believe my pullets are a mix of Easter Eggers and Leghorns. They came from a mixed flock, so none are pure bred. The one picture is my barred cockerel.

I open nest boxes at 15 weeks old, the same time I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I also put a ceramic egg in each box.
I think 5 boxes is good, they will select their favorite's.
My 7 Barred Rocks used 2 of 3 mostly.
My 5 ISA Browns used all 3.
My first Flock, 5 Golden Comets let me know 2 nests were not enough. View attachment 2702693
GC
They are beautiful!

I raised two in my garage in a dog crate because the other two hens were pecking at them so I waited to join them with the others. Got them at 6 wks, stayed in the dog crate (wrapped in chicken wire) till they were about 6 months old. They started laying in there, in a dish of ashes and pine shavings so I think nature just takes it's course. Never thought one could have garage chickens, healthy and happy...then moved them in with the other two. Things changed. The two bossy other hens were brats. Still are!

Back
Top Bottom