when do I take chicks off starter food

llandry

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2012
jersey shore, nj
I have 4 chicks about 5-6 weeks old. The bag of chick starter/grower food says to feed till they are 8weeks old but I thought the farmer who I got them from said to feed it till they're 18 weeks old.
Any advice?

Some folks change to Grower until the eggs come.  Others, simply feed the starter until the eggs come.  It's merely a choice.
Pretty much what Fred says. I'm of the "keep them on starter until I see the first eggs" myself so as to not have to buy yet another type of feed on top of what I'm already buying. Either way will work.

My local feed store and Purina both recomended to keep them on the starter until 18 weeks or they start laying. I asked Purina about that and taking them off the medicated starter before they start laying be cause I had been told not to eat the eggs for a month. Here's their response.

"You would switch the chicks to layer feed at 18 weeks of age. The medication in the starter feed stays in the gut of the chicken and does not transfer to the eggs or meat of the chicken so it is safe to eat the eggs. If you have questions, please let me know."

Last edited:
Most that do switch there feed will feed a Starter up to 12 weeks of age than switch to a grower. A Grower type feed is lower in protein than a Starter and in some cases a Layer type feed, this is to slow growth rate down so that the bird has time to fully fill out and build up strong bones and mussels.

This might help you out some.

Starter --
A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to twelve weeks of age.
At 12 weeks of age the birds can be changed to Grower or Developer. Starter can be Medicated or Non-Medicated when Medicated it is with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

Stater/ Grower --
A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to chickens begin to lay, this feed can be Medicated or Non-Medicated. If medicated it will be with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter/ Grower is available mostly in Crumble or Pellet form.

Grower --
Feed as the sole ration to chicks 12 weeks of age as a finisher. Grower feed is meant to feed until the chickens begin to lay, then bird can be switched to a complete Laying. Most Grower feed is Non-Medicated but some are Medicated with Bacitracin. Grower is mostly available in available in Crumble or Pellet form.

Finisher -- See above for Grower

Layer --
Feed as the sole diet to laying hens maximum production of eggs. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

Layer/ Breeder --
Feed as the sole diet to laying hens and breeders for maximum production and for improved hatchability. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer/ Breeder is available in Pellet form.

Chris

What if the feed you're buying is labeled as Starter/Grower? That's what mine says. I also feed them cracked corn, oats, sunflower seeds, and fruits and vegetables. They also graze on grass. I hope this is ok! Mine are about 14 weeks old. Please advise???

What if the feed you're buying is labeled as Starter/Grower? That's what mine says. I also feed them cracked corn, oats, sunflower seeds, and fruits and vegetables. They also graze on grass. I hope this is ok! Mine are about 14 weeks old. Please advise???
If you are going to switch to a layer,

Chris

In many areas Purina has Start & Grow medicated & Non-medicated. After 8 weeks or so I would switch to non-medicated Start & Grow. Other feeds that only have Starter & no grower generally have a non-medicated form also. You don't have to keep them on Amprol just because they are on starter.

Back
Top Bottom