When do they begin laying? My experience

ArizonaSky

Chirping
Nov 28, 2022
I have seen several questions about when to expect laying to begin, and when other hens start after the first. Here is my experience with a flock of 14 pullets of 5 different breeds. All are the same age.

Age Week 20- one white egg from a leghorn.

Week 21- 3 eggs daily, 2 of my RIR and or BO's started this week.

Week 22- 7 eggs daily, 2 Leghorns, one blue EE, 1 Delaware light brown egg, and 3 dark browns from RIR, and BO.

Week 23- TBA.

I have seen several questions about when to expect laying to begin, and when other hens start after the first. Here is my experience with a flock of 14 pullets of 5 different breeds. All are the same age.

Age Week 20- one white egg from a leghorn.

Week 21- 3 eggs daily, 2 of my RIR and or BO's started this week.

Week 22- 7 eggs daily, 2 Leghorns, one blue EE, 1 Delaware light brown egg, and 3 dark browns from RIR, and BO.

Week 23- Up to 11 eggs this week. 1 blue, 1 green, 2 white, 3 light brown, 4 dark brown. Some days, we got thin shells, some days they "slacked". We are in central Arizona, so the 11 egg day was a "cooler" day (80's).

Week 24- no change, except there have been no soft shells this week. Some of the non layers are now spending time in the boxes.
1000005909.jpg

I have been fortunate. With the exception of 3 stray eggs, all were in the laying boxes with me as Mama.
It's interesting too, the eggs with soft or no shells were laid on the poop board (except twice). Do they know the egg isn't complete beforehand?
Now we shall see how long this lasts with sun. I am in central Arizona, so may have more productivity.

Back
Top Bottom