when do turkeys start laying eggs?

I have 2 Ridley bronze hens and a beauty RB tom "Freddie" we got them in May of 2015 and the hens started laying at about the end of November. We have incubated a couple and are going to start incubating more but the hens have not layed an egg in a few days?? Our hens also haven't started setting yet either? They were laying everyday it was awesome but now it has stopped any tips ?

My turkeys are almost 2 years and I have 1 male and 1 female. We have not gotten any eggs yet . I've seen the male turkey " doing his business" but still no eggs!...anyone happen to know why??

Our turkeys. Ridley broke hens started laying around January. We had a light on in the house and I wondered if that made them start laying. ? They are I u a year old now. The eggs are quite a bit bigger than a chicken eggs and our ️️have light brownish speckles on them. I have seen chicken eggs similar but not the same. We have been able to hatch three chicks but out of 40 eggs that is not very many :-(. I have a chicken setting on some now hoping that she is a better mom than my incubator :).

[/B]
My turkeys are almost 2 years and I have 1 male and 1 female. We have not gotten any eggs yet . I've seen the male turkey " doing his business" but still no eggs!...anyone happen to know why??

Last edited:
Depends on your location.

Maybe your hens are hiding the eggs they can be sneaky.

This year my palms started about a month before my chocolates.

My Bourbons just started laying this week.

Might depend on the breed you have.

I've looked up what turkey eggs are supposed to look like, .. Maybe I don't know what they look like at all??

If she wasn't laying would there be a reason?

wow, that's a long time with no eggs. Our Bourbon Red hen started laying at nine months old. Her eggs are bigger than an extra large chicken egg, a bit elongated, and have raised bronzish red spots and splashes. She hid her first egg when she laid. She went under our pickup truck, so, we didn't even know she had laid until we found her crouched over it. The next one was in the coop, in the basket I set up for her. It was big, with low sides, and bedding deep enough for her to be comfortable. She lays about once a day or so, and always in the coop now, but, not always in her basket. Depends on if someone else (meaning one of my chickens) gets to the basket first.

I would look to see if your female is hiding them. Does she have a favorite spot to kind of tuck herself away?

We have been looking and we haven't found any yet.. She's either really good at hiding or she isn't laying at all :(

I have a broad breasted bronze hen who started laying eggs this week! She is only 7 or 8 months old?! So far she has laid 6 in a 5 day span. And yes she is the only turkey in the pen with the chickens, and yes I'm certain it's a turkey egg. Is this bad for her health? Why is she laying right now, I thought she wouldn't lay at all because by the time next spring came along they would all be thanksgiving dinners.

I have a broad breasted bronze hen who started laying eggs this week! She is only 7 or 8 months old?! So far she has laid 6 in a 5 day span. And yes she is the only turkey in the pen with the chickens, and yes I'm certain it's a turkey egg. Is this bad for her health? Why is she laying right now, I thought she wouldn't lay at all because by the time next spring came along they would all be thanksgiving dinners.
Wow, IDK. It's been about a month since you posted that, how is she now?

I have 5 (3hens/2toms) Bourbon Reds that are 21 weeks old right now so I've been researching about eggs. It seems it would be better to hatch in the fall for breeders and hatch in the spring for thanksgiving meat. Just an Idea I had.

Back
Top Bottom