When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Pics
One of our GLWs laid at 19 weeks, 1 day, now on her 3rd egg- but they're tiny, like 1.0 oz, a little less than 2" long. First one landed on the coop floor and the next two were deposited in the nest box.
cool.png

I just got 5 Blue Wynadottes (avatar) that are around 7 months (28 wks), told they should start laying soon. I don't think so
idunno.gif
Weather has been gloomy & cloudy, season changes and adjusting to a new home, so I'm allowing for that. Told to put them on layer with grit & oyster shells but looking at their combs and having had laying pullets in the past, it maybe awhile. We're looking for a Cockerel/Rooster for them, no
luck here. Hence looking for someone that can ship eggs to us but living in Hawaii isn't always "paradise"
barnie.gif

I don't think my Blue Wyandotte layed till 7 or 8 months old. She was the last of my chicks to start laying. But she has been consistent layer of small round tan eggs. I am a little disappointed the eggs are so small for such a big chicken. Also she goes broody a lot. Be prepared with a cage.

Your Wyandotte 'Bet" still has a pale comb. When she gets close to laying her comb and wattles will darken. She is still not mature.

I don't think my Blue Wyandotte layed till 7 or 8 months old. She was the last of my chicks to start laying. But she has been consistent layer of small round tan eggs. I am a little disappointed the eggs are so small for such a big chicken. Also she goes broody a lot. Be prepared with a cage.

I've been told, when they/pullets first start laying the eggs are "small". Prior to these I had 2 EE & 2 RIR that started laying at 5 months and the eggs weren't all that small
yippiechickie.gif
AND they laid one a day for weeks before I had to sell them
hit.gif

My two white leghorns have always layed small/med perfect white eggs everyday until this month. I hope my Wyandotte's eggs get bigger!

Is it abnormal for a GLW pullet to have kind of a flat comb with like one point at the top? Both of mine have dark almost black colored combs with dark red around the edges and their waddles are still small but growing in a pretty bright red color. They're still pretty young at 8 weeks old now. Is that normal, will it change as they get older ,or is that just specific to mine maybe? I wonder because all of the pictures I have seen of Wyandottes they all have bright red combs and waddles regardless of what color variation they are (GLW, SLW, BLW). This is my first experience in raising Wyandottes. These are some pictures of them from a few days ago. Thanks in advance for any help or wisdom about my girls!

Back
Top Bottom