When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Pics
Is it abnormal for a GLW pullet to have kind of a flat comb with like one point at the top? Both of mine have dark almost black colored combs with dark red around the edges and their waddles are still small but growing in a pretty bright red color. They're still pretty young at 8 weeks old now. Is that normal, will it change as they get older ,or is that just specific to mine maybe? I wonder because all of the pictures I have seen of Wyandottes they all have bright red combs and waddles regardless of what color variation they are (GLW, SLW, BLW). This is my first experience in raising Wyandottes. These are some pictures of them from a few days ago. Thanks in advance for any help or wisdom about my girls!

With our two, one had the point you're describing, the other looks like someone stepped on it, like a piece of gum.
lol.png

They both started with that dark blackish type comb like yours as babies but as they matured they turned 100% red, so I imagine yours will too.

Wyandotte #1, about 8 weeks

Wyandotte #2, about 8 weeks

Wyandotte #1, my chewing gum blob

Wyandotte #2's little devil horn

With our two, one had the point you're describing, the other looks like someone stepped on it, like a piece of gum.
lol.png

They both started with that dark blackish type comb like yours as babies but as they matured they turned 100% red, so I imagine yours will too.

Wyandotte #1, about 8 weeks

Wyandotte #2, about 8 weeks

Wyandotte #1, my chewing gum blob

Wyandotte #2's little devil horn
Thank you so much for posting those pics!!! It makes me feel a lot better that my chicks are developing normally. I sure hope they grow up to be as pretty as yours are. That's funny...about the "devil horn" because that's exactly what both of mine have! YAY!!!
woot.gif

Thank you so much for posting those pics!!! It makes me feel a lot better that my chicks are developing normally. I sure hope they grow up to be as pretty as yours are. That's funny...about the "devil horn" because that's exactly what both of mine have! YAY!!!
woot.gif

LOL So happy I could help! The GLW's definitely go through their ugly-duckling phase, don't they?
My devil horn was the top chick in her group and has been working her way up to intimidate everyone else in the flock. My chewing gum blob is her little henchman.
big_smile.png

What are you feeding them? Are they getting enough protein. I hope they are not on layer feed if they are not laying. Do they have a safe coop so they are not stressed?

I got a few Silver Lace Wyandotte by mistake. However I think I like them so I've kept a rooster and a hen. The hen is 24 weeks and has NOT started laying. I have her with a bunch of leghorns which is the breed I've always had before. I'm assuming she is not laying because I don't have any brown eggs. Two questions do I need to worry that I haven't gotten an egg from her yet? Second do I need to build a bigger nest for her? She is much larger than the leghorns and I assume my nests are too small for her. about 12in x 12in. I thought she'd find someplace else to lay when she started until I got a chance to redo the nests. I haven't found a one. The chickens are in a run so I'd think I'd find it. So is there something wrong with my hen that I haven't found a brown egg yet? Do I need to build her a bigger nest? Thanks for your input I'm totally inexperienced with this breed.
idunno.gif

I have both larger nest boxes and the smaller ones. None of my birds would use the smaller boxes, so they now are storage. Wyandotte's are on the larger size so I would think the larger boxes would be best.

That is what I was afraid of. Time and money to build new ones, always something. How big are yours that the Wyandotte like about double 24x24x24? All of mine are the same size for leghorns with little doors for me to collect the eggs and all. As I said I got the Silver Lace chicken's by mistake from the hatchery so I had to build additional roosting area etc.. Also I'm a little concerned about winter watering. The big waterers always end up leaking on me and when I ask other farmers they saw yeah they do and shrug their shoulders like it's no big deal. They obviously have more money than I do. To me it's a big deal. It's not freezing yet so I use 1/2 gallon mason jars with the screw bottoms. I notice the Silver lace chickens only use the red plastic ones. I assume because the lip is wider so they can get to them easier. That won't work in the winter as I put them on a warmer to keep them from freezing and use the metal screw on bottoms. First can they drink out of the metal screw on kind just fine and just prefer the plastic red ones? And if the regular metal screw on kind are too small do they make some with wider lips?? Thanks for your help. Had the chicken thing pretty figured out until these big ones came along. LOL

My boxes are 24x24. I have 4 lg boxes but they only use two of them. They like to pile in two chickens at a time. I have no idea why they seem to favor just those two boxes.

Back
Top Bottom