When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Pics
For my three gold-laced Dottes (I call them The Dottes) I got the first egg at 21 weeks. A week later they were all laying...this was in mid-July, so shorter daylight hours may affect your production...the chickens were right on the money as far as averages lol! I got so impatient! And then I was buried in eggs...

I've got 19 Golden Laced Wyandotts and they started at 21 weeks to the day.2 at first ,within 2 weeks all were laying. Small eggs at first.now at 36 weeks old I get 17 eggs a day out of 19 birds, ha I think 2 birds are masquerading as females. I have one rooster and there is no question my big boy is the real deal. Sooo brilliant colors.

I was given 5 Blue Wynadottes about a month ago, they were about 28wks & not laying. They'll be 34wks this week & still not laying. The lady I got them from had them on layer which I finished off but changed them to Flock Raiser with Oyster Shells & Grit on the side. Their combs get red, some redder than other & the got a big dog house for a nest box which they've recently been inspecting.
Guess they'll lay when ready
roll.png

I was given 5 Blue Wynadottes about a month ago, they were about 28wks & not laying. They'll be 34wks this week & still not laying. The lady I got them from had them on layer which I finished off but changed them to Flock Raiser with Oyster Shells & Grit on the side. Their combs get red, some redder than other & the got a big dog house for a nest box which they've recently been inspecting. Guess they'll lay when ready :rolleyes:
Your Blue's look sinister with that dark cape lol. Compared to my Golden's yours combs don't look large enough to be 30+ weeks old and on the comb color some of mine are real pail red but healthy free range with sunlight everyday. I also thought color was a health indicator but on these rose combs not so evident.

Your Blue's look sinister with that dark cape lol. Compared to my Golden's yours combs don't look large enough to be 30+ weeks old and on the comb color some of mine are real pail red but healthy free range with sunlight everyday. I also thought color was a health indicator but on these rose combs not so evident.

That second to the last (pic) really does look sinister even in person, seriously! She's got more black on her face than the others but she's sweet!
They are hatchery chicks from Dels/TSC last shipment end of March this year, making them 8mos
hu.gif
I count 34wks. The conditions they came from I know wasn't as "good" as they have it now. They were kept with a bunch of other chickens with no shaving, they were pretty dirty when I got them plus missing tail feathers. Starting to look better but not comfortable enough to let them grub the (fenced) yard yet. They don't respond (come when I call) like those I raised from hatchlings but are becoming (2 for sure) more relaxed with me.

Wasn't aware their combs are suppose to get larger, never had a full grown one. I basically raise hatchlings until 8wks then they go back to their owner. The longest I've raised any have been 5mos. Thank you for you comments, it's helpful.

Well thanks for the encouragement I think. She's still younger than yours. She has a bright red comb which is much smaller than the rooster's and her feathers on the neck are much wider than the rooster another sign of sex I was told. She's very gentle so I guess I'll just wait too. She has plenty of scratch, oyster shell, lay pellets, cracked corn and I'm still giving the flock rotten peppers from the garden. So hopefully she'll be ready soon.

Charlotte is my BLRW bantam. she is 23 weeks old - no eggs yet
Daisy is my GLW who is 28 wks old, with no comb- only a red "pimple" at the back of a hard brown line on her forehead. She hasn't started laying either.
Bitsy is my SLW bantam. She is also 28 wks and has not laid an egg. I am beginning to wonder about these chickens. It is starting to get cool and the days are shorter. Do you think they will wait until spring? I don't think I can. It is almost as bad as being pregnant and overdue.

Oldhen, are you offering a nesting box in a spot close to their food & water. Looks like they have a free run on the lawn.

Sounds like my one girl is not as "overdue" as OLDHEN2345's are. However, yes I build a nice new huge couple of nests for her. I've found some really large poop in one a couple of times. Large enough that I'm thinking it's from her and not the leghorns. Do you think that could be a sign that she's trying to figure things out I know when they are learning some of the girls would leave a big large turd in the nest I'm thinking they aren't sure what the egg will feel like?? Hope it's a good sign. Another good thing is the only kind of turd left has large and not squishy so I can just pick it out of the nest.

Back
Top Bottom