when do your chickens lay

kbarnes

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
wadsworth nv
Around what time of day do your hens start laying. Because of the heat my chickens will only go in their coop during the day and sleep in the pen area at night. If this heat persists I am thinking they may start laying in the yard instead of the nesting boxes. Is anyone else having this problem.

Since ovulation at about every 26 hours is about as quick of a turnaround that one will get, for every 12 eggs from a single productive hen 4 will come in the afternoon and 8 will come in the morning. If they're less productive, a larger percentage will come in the morning.

Once they get used to laying somewhere they'll go back to that spot 98% of the time so if they lay in the nest boxes now, they should continue to do so.

Since ovulation at about every 26 hours is about as quick of a turnaround that one will get, for every 12 eggs from a single productive hen 4 will come in the afternoon and 8 will come in the morning. If they're less productive, a larger percentage will come in the morning.

Once they get used to laying somewhere they'll go back to that spot 98% of the time so if they lay in the nest boxes now, they should continue to do so.
they are all pullets to young to lay yet. This is why I'm concerned. I should start getting eggs in about a month but that puts them mid august.
It already hot now its going to be worse then. Should I wait ubtill I see an egg then lock them in the coop at night?

If the run isn't predator proof, they need locked in the coop now.

Lots of shade is the best defense for heat. Make sure the nest boxes are set up and ready by the time they're 16 weeks.
A nice dark cubby with a fake egg or golf ball works wonders.

Freeze water bottles and put them in the run during the day to help them cool down, keep drinking water cold, and provide a whole lot of shade. It is preferred to lock up your birds at night to avoid predators from getting your birds, and if there are windows or any opening other than the door (which their should be) keep them open to allow fresh air to go in.
And depending on the breed, pullets will begin laying when they are 4-6 months old. Use anything small and egg-looking to put in the nesting boxes so they can follow the example.
And, the heat usually is not a problem. Even though a nesting box isn't as drafty as outside, most hens will prefer a dark, small place to lay their eggs.
Also, I get all of my eggs before ten in the morning, every day. They do not stagger down an hour every day, but that's just me. My birds currently laying are hybrids, so they lay fore often and consitently.

Last edited:
OK thank you yes they are in a predator proof pen and they have a lot of shade in the pen and coop but the way I have it set up I am also using the coop for a wind block from canyon winds so it also gets straight sun on it for the last 3 hours of the day. That's when I notice they start staying outside. There are 4 screened windows in the coop that I open for cross breezes.

I see. :) If you get your birds to enjoy the frozen water bottles, move them into the coop at night and move them in the run during the day to encourage them to be in a certain space.

Back
Top Bottom