When is day 1?

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
I put eggs in the incubator yesterday at 10am.

Was yesterday day 1 ?

The day counter on my incubator shows 20 days left today. So it counted yesterday as day 1.

I thought I read that day 1 is actually the day after you set the eggs??

Day one is roughly the first 24 hrs after you set your eggs, so day one would have ended at 10am today, then after 10am day 2 has started.

Ok, so you count the day after 24 hours has past.

I'll bet I actually turned the incubator on before 10am and that's when it started counting down. It must have changed from 21 to 20 days prior to my looking at it this morning.

The only reason it would matter is when I go into lock down, right? That's when I fill both reservoirs with water, stop turning and opening. The turning is programmed in, so the humidity and lock down is what I need to keep track of.

Lock down is the important time...the average for chicken eggs is 21 days, but they can hatch a day or 2 earlier or a day or 2 later.

So if I set the eggs this past Tuesday at noon, I should expect them theoretically to be at day 21 on the Tuesday three weeks later?
So I take them out of the turner and fill the second trough of water for lockdown on Saturday at noon?

Back
Top Bottom