When is it humane to put them down?

chicamama03

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
I have a sick hen. She's been this way about a week. I tried the egg bound suggestions (no luck) and now I'm beginning to wonder if she nedds to be put down? What's more humane? I have no idea how old she is (if anyone remembers I rescued her from being in a pen with 8 roosters). Been straining and diarhea for days. No eggs, although i did find a very soft/muched egg in pen, but not sure hers or another's?) The other ladies are all good. It's been about a week.

If I leave her out, she'd be gone by morning quickly by nature or a neighbor would do the deed.

Or, do I just let her go on her own?

idunno.gif

It depends. Is she in obvious pain? Is she "depressed" (in the veterinary sense, meaning that she is not showing interest in food or water, not showing much awareness of surroundings)? Do you feel that you have done everything that you can for her?

I think maybe the question is really more about you than about her. For some people, the first sign of illness is treated with the "hatchet method." These people reason that the chicken is not the same thing as a dog or a cat, but is a utility animal whose utility is at an end if veterinary (or even home veterinary) care is required. Other people will go to great lengths to keep their feathered companions alive and well, incurring large expenses or investments of time. Sometimes the response depends on the individual bird, but in general most people fall somewhere in between. You only need to ask yourself where you fall. There is no one right answer for everyone, or even for every chicken.

I would add though, that if you are planning on putting your hen down, the most humane way to do it is to actually put her down yourself, via the "hatchet method" or something similar (or have someone else do it for you), rather than leave her "for nature." I lost a few hens to this method my accident and I can assure you it was not a quick or easy death for them. Better to control how it happens so you can be sure it is humane, and you can have no regrets that you did the right thing, in the right way.

My thoughts are with you and your hen. And if it helps, in a home vet care situation with a chicken, if she is not going to make it but is not in obvious pain or discomfort, my personal choice is to continue the care and let her die on her own.

I have her in a seperate crate with food and water to see what she passes. She is like a little pet, but finances do not allow DVM interaction. Knowing me I'll keep her till she either gets better (or doesn't). She did peck at a strawberry and I'm making some noodles for her (their fav treat). We'll see. The hot tub aka warm bath only seemed to add to her weakness.
hmm.png

If she was in a pen with 8 roosters, there possibly could be internal damage/injuries from overmating. Diarhhea could mean many things...tough call.
Try giving her buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs to eat. You have to make the ultimate decision whether to cull her or not.
If she were my hen, I'd worm her as a basic step then go from there and make my decision a several days after worming. Check her for lice/mites as well.

Back
Top Bottom