When is it ok to take Chicks outside for an outing?

Baileybunchx5

Songster
Mar 1, 2023
Maryland
I have a varity of 3 week old chicks. RI Reds, Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Speckled Sussex. If it warms up to 60 would it be ok to take them out in the grass area supervised for a short period? I understand I should offer some chick grit if I do as they may be pecking things outside in the grass and consuming different things.

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 34
Hi I have two different batches of chicks since they are weeks apart I have been taking my five week olds out for short trips it’s been around 55 to 60 it was a little breezy but my chicks also like to cuddle under my coat so when they got cold or tired the would cuddle under and go to sleep I would say get them grit and then as long as it’s warm and either no breeze or a tiny one take them out for 5 minutes or so if they look cold you can always put them back but then again it’s your choice!

I have a varity of 3 week old chicks. RI Reds, Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Speckled Sussex. If it warms up to 60 would it be ok to take them out in the grass area supervised for a short period? I understand I should offer some chick grit if I do as they may be pecking things outside in the grass and consuming different things.

I have the same question so glad you asked! I also have speckled sussex that are just a few days behind yours and can't wait to see how they grow up <3

I have the same question so glad you asked! I also have speckled sussex that are just a few days behind yours and can't wait to see how they grow up <3
One of the speckled sussex is so sweet right now. Everytime I go to take the lid off the brooder she flies right up on the edge for me to interact with her.

I am thinking the same. If they get cold I assume they will start gathering in a huddle like they do. I wont keep them out for long. I will stay right with them and it is actually the enclosed Run that I will let them in.

One of the speckled sussex is so sweet right now. Everytime I go to take the lid off the brooder she flies right up on the edge for me to interact with her.
Aw! I have (I think) 2 SS and one is very outgoing and one is still a bit more cautious. My barred rock is a wild girl tho and perches sometimes on TOP of my head! omg lol I can't wait to see how their personalities and feather patterns develop <3

They enjoyed their outing and even learned to quickly dust bath
Excellent🙂 as others mentioned it’s all about their body language/noises, if they’re walking around foraging then they’re fine, If they huddle together or start chirping then they’re probably getting cold. A mother hen would take chicks out a lot sooner, obviously they’d have the mother hen to go under when it gets warm so it’s important to monitor them that they’re not too cold and to look out for predators like a hen would

Back
Top Bottom