When is it safe to turn off the heat lamps?

switters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 3, 2008
My chicks are almost 5 weeks old. They have most of their feathers. Their brooder is in our basement, and we're in Northern California. Nights have been in the mid-50s lately. They have been spending most days outside in a portable tractor and seem totally fine with that. We've raised the heat lamp up quite a bit so it's not so hot in the brooder anymore, but I'm wondering when it's safe to turn off the lamp completely.

Thanks.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I live in central west Oregon, and put my 4-week old chicks outside w/no heat back in June. They did great. I'm sure it's safe now if you're in No. CA and they're 5 weeks. They'll huddle up and keep each other warm if needed...

Last night I turned off the lamps entirely. This morning when I went and checked the brooder, the chicks were huddled into one big "chicken ball". Does that mean it's too soon to turn off the light? They are 5 weeks old with most of their feathers, and the books I've read say that you can put them outside in the coop at that point. If they're cold in a brooder in the basement, it seems like they'll be even colder outside. I'm confused.

Quote:
With them in a "chicken ball" I'd say they are too cold and huddling together for warmth. You've most likely had the lamp on 24/7 up to this point so taking it away from them completely led them to try and get warm from each other. If it was me, I'd still keep the lamp on them in the evenings. Just because the books say moving them outside to the coop at 5weeks is ok, they still need warmth until they are fully feathered, so you can move them to the coop, but at night I'd still put a light out there with them. The temperatures get too low in our area for them to be without! If it was a constant 80 degrees then I'd say they would be fine, no light, but you have to protect them until they can protect themselves with feathers!

You really don't need a heat lamp. I use a regular 60 watt bulb. It seems to work and give off enough heat. Is their area open or can you cover it to keep warmth in somewhat at night when they are in the basement. If they are tightly huddled, that is a sign that they are chilly and balling up for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom