When is it time to switch to layer feed?

Springchild

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Sitka, Alaska
Our girls are 13 weeks and 8 weeks. Still on chick feed. All of our breeds say they start laying between 18-22 weeks. They are starting to practice the egg song. Lol I'm not sure when to give layer feed. How will I get them to eat their own food when they are all in the same pen now?

I placed a sign, printed of course, so the rooster could read it, that he should not eat the egg layer pellets. Apparently, it is working as he is a healthy, robust seven year old.

The only problem with that is that grower will make the your hen's eggs poisonous and unfit to eat.

Better said, it might or it might not...

Many will agree that added hormones and medications should not be used in our food supply but, on the other side there are many that claim it's far the horror story the anti's claim... There simply isn't enough scientific data and large scale long term studies to prove definitively either way...

Me personally, I believe it's best to avoid hormones and medications in the food supply, and thus for laying birds I would go with an unmediated and no hormone feed... But, I would never go as far as saying that the amount in grower feeds creates a poisonous or unfit to eat egg at the end of the day when all things are considered...

Last edited:
We faced the same question this past January with a mixed flock of 8 bantams. Being the middle of winter it was anyone's guess when they might start laying. As first time chicken people, we read everything we could find and finally decided to go with the feed manufacturers guide and switched from chick starter to layer feed at 18 weeks. Two weeks later one Bantam Brahma (Myrtle, my favorite) became lethargic and stopped eating. Her crop was full and squishy and we suspected an impacted crop. Two days later she died.

Needing to learn something from this loss we sent Myrtle to Murray State University for an autopsy. Their determination of death: renal gout from excess calcium in a non laying hen. The autopsy fee of $75 was money well spent as we changed food immediately. Less then a week later our other Bantam Brahma laid her first egg. We consulted with the feed manufacturer, who was very interested in learning more of our case. Their recommendation was to adjust feeding to the youngest bird and if all weren't laying it was best to feed a non calcium enriched food and provide oyster shell. It's amazing how the hens know when they need a boost in calcium and take what oyster shell they need.

We now feed Flock Raiser Crumbles and keep oyster shell available all the time. This gives the girls the ability to regulate their calcium intake. Something that isn't possible with a laying feed. Bantam's tend to go broody often causing a suspension of egg production. Not sure how quickly this affects their calcium needs, but we don't want to take any chances.

We never would have believed how much there is to learn about chickens! It continues to be a challenging and rewarding adventure. Good luck!

The only problem with that is that grower will make the your hen's eggs poisonous and unfit to eat.

Better said, it might or it might not...

Many will agree that added hormones and medications should not be used in our food supply but, on the other side there are many that claim it's far the horror story the anti's claim...  There simply isn't enough scientific data and large scale long term studies to prove definitively either way...

Me personally, I believe it's best to avoid hormones and medications in the food supply, and thus for laying birds I would go with an unmediated and no hormone feed...   But, I would never go as far as saying that the amount in grower feeds creates a poisonous or unfit to eat egg at the end of the day when all things are considered... 

That is very true, but I think it best to avoid it.

Uh--in the United States, it is illegal to put growth hormones in poultry feed.
What are you guys talking about?

How is it possible for a basic grower feed to make hen's eggs poisonous and unfit to eat?
yeah, super confused.

To clarify, we ARE a state of the US! So, not ALL US states have both medicated and non medicated starter/grower feed. On this island we have 1 pet store for small animal (pets like dog cat hamster and birds, such as parakeet and parrot. Our local True Value had chicks shipped in from a hatchery. They are the ONLY place to get chicken supplies. They do not carry the non medicated feed. Also did not carry grit. Had to buy adult and grind smaller. :(. They also have only two kinds of layer feed. Both the same company but one is crumbles and the other pellets. Both 16% , protein? Since all of my kids are together I just wondered when to switch to layer feed and would it hurt the younger ones. I can not figure how to keep them from eating each other's feed. Lol. Thanks for all the commentary!!

My feed stores don't carry unmedicated starter either.

I've since switched to flock raiser.
If you have males in your flock, you should not feed them a layer feed at all because then the boys are forced to consume too much calcium than is appropriate for their systems.

You can normally find small grit in a pet store, in the small bird section; finches need grit.

You can also use cuttle bones as a calcium source if all you have is chickens, since they can peck the shell and get some extra enrichment as well as calcium for eggs. The boys should leave it alone.

Crushed oyster shell can also be found at some fish supply stores, to help stabilize the water table during water changes (well...to that effect...it's more complicated than that though).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom