When is it too late to give a broody eggs?

Anna-MN

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
One of my BCM hens went broody about a week ago and I keep taking eggs from her since I don't have a rooster. If I were to give her some fertilized eggs on Monday, do you think she would sit on them until they hatched? Or is it too late? Thanks in advance!

I would guess it will probably work fine, at least if she is firmly broody. They certainly don't automatically quit at 3 weeks. Actually, it's the simplest way to dela with a broody, IMO.

Yes you should be fine. I had 2 broodies this spring and both stayed put for 6 weeks.

the first one sat on golf balls for 3 weeks while I tried in vain to find fertile eggs. I got some from a local person. After 2 more weeks it became apparent that they eggs were not developing. I switched her back to sitting on golf balls. It took me another week to find day old chicks to give her. I think she was broody for 6 weeks plus 2 days at that point. She took care of her chicks for 5 and a half weeks.

the next one sat for 3 weeks on golf balls while I got a rooster and waited for the other girls eggs to get fertilized. Then she sat for 3 more weeks and hatched the eggs for me. Her total time being broody was at least 6 weeks.

So starting your hen with fertile eggs after a week or even 2 of being broody should be just fine.

I have my 1st broody and she sat for over a week so I decided to get some fertile eggs(i don't have a roo) for her to hatch I'm hoping that after another week sitting on eggs that they are developing cause she's one determined girl!!
I hope you have luck hatching !! I find this so exciting! I can't wait for the big day!
does anyone know if it's really 21 days or "about" 21 days??
I need to stop worrying and let nature do its thing!!
good luck keep us posted on her progress

I am picking up some fertile eggs today from a 4H girl for my broody.

One of my chicks just hatched but it didn't absorb all of it's yolk and it died
sad.png
Why would that happen?

The chick was already dead when I found it. There is another one out there that the shell has a big hole in it but the chick is still in the membrane and it was drying out. I put a little distilled water on it to moisten it.

Back
Top Bottom