When Should I Put My Chicks Out in the Coop.........

The girls are finally outside!! We decided that after yesterdays comotion we'll leave them out..... We bought them in last night, after 15-20 minutes they were cheeping like crazy.... We went in to seewhat was wrong and they all went quiet (spoilt birds these), and when we left the room they started again!!

So, after 4 weeks and 3 days the girls are now outside.........

For those of you who have put the new babies with the big girls...what do you feed them? Does everyone eat the same feed? If not, how do you separate the big ones from the little ones so everyone eats what they are supposed to? I have 4 week old babies that are outside and it would make my life so much easier if I could put them in with the big girls.

4 week old chicks should be on starter food for approx 16 weeks, then they can eat adult food. You can seperate them by building a fenced off area for them...

I just feed everybody gamebird feed and put oyster shell out free choice so the layers can meet their calcium needs--the youngsters pretty much leave it alone until they need it, just and exporitory peck or two. A lot of people use flockraiser for the same reason, but I've had a hard time finding it around here so I use gamebird. It works great for mixed age and/or species flocks.

Well folks, the girls had their first full night outside.... My wife Allison has built them a little climbing frame (hate to call it an assault course) and they are up on it, flapping their little wings and doing things that chicks do.... They are funny..... My wife had to put them all in the coop last night, and I checked on them when I got home and they were good. This morning we opened their coop (just before dawn) and put out fresh water and food.... As the light came up out they came.....

On leaving for work, they were all doing chicken things, the run is securely locked so they now have their first full day outside on their own. It's like taking your child to school for the first time.......

Tonight we'll see how they faired......

My BRs were pretty nicely feathered out at 4-5 weeks, so they were able to go out and stay. Sounds as if yours are doing just great! The warm weather has made it super easy to transition from the brooder to the coop...if anything, they've been much warmer at all hours than they were inside! Ours have been super tidy in the coop, as well. They seem to go outside to do their business, then come back in. I'm so proud! haha Housebroken chicks!
wink.png

hi i am from the ashville,canton area..we have been doing chicks here infla.a long time ,of coursethe weather isdifferent,we put them out at about 4 weeks with a light even if its warm,they are like little toddlers they dont like the dark,for a week or2,so they feel safe...GOOD LUCK...

WOW..IM FROM CANTON,I HAVE A SISTER IN ASHEVILLE..SMALL WORLD.....I HAVE 17 NEW CHICKS ABOUT 3 WEEKS OLD,IM IN FLA..MORNINGS ARE ABOUT 50..DAYS ARE 70..SOON TO BE 80,,IS 50 TO COLD RIGHT NOW?? thanks.my name is sharon...

mine are three weeks old, I have 10 reds and 10 dominques, and 10 silver laced wyandotte pullets. they are getting so big, they are really crowded in the brooder. I am going to try them outside in the run this week for a few hours, then put them in the coop secured for a couple days. I have 10 columbian wyandotte cockerelles that are 3 days younger but will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. I am hoping they will mix well at this age. Do you think they will be too small to go into the coop. They are so big and growing larger each day.

Back
Top Bottom