When the predator is your own dog...

Maybe you could try one of those shock collars, where you press a button on a remote you carry and it shocks the dog through a collar they wear. I don't think is sounds very nice, but as a last resort it might work. Hang in there, and good luck!
hugs.gif

I had a blind lab mix that killed anything he could catch and he was able to get several chickens and our duck. good luck but I think the answer is choosing between dog and other animals.

Usually I'm all for giving the dog a second chance. Maybe even a third. But if it lived here, it would NOT have had a 5th chance. It would have been dead by now. Your options do seem to be better confinement for the dog, working on training the dog, or putting it down. I hope you can work something out.

My mom grew up on a farm. And the families rule was:
If they dog kills a chicken, you kill the dog.
Since she said the the few times they didn't it would start going for every other live animal they had on the farm.
Though I would never personally put the dog down, I do suggest you keep it indoor, or in its own outdoor kennel when you cannot watch it.

I have very little spare time on my hands myself but all you need is a quick 5min training session twice a day. Also just by working little things into your routine will help like eating your dinner before the dog gets fed (pack leaders eat first), making the dog sit before giving its food (teaches them you don't demand it, you earn it) and walking through gates and doors first (pack leaders are in charge therefore they go first). Simple things like that work wonders.

All my dogs I have stock proofed by attaching them to a long rope with a choke chain and giving them a mighty yank and yell LEAVE! when they go to chase. They cotton on pretty quick - just a couple of 10-15min sessions for most dogs is all it takes. It may be worth while trying this with the goats.

As just2rosey mentioned you could use a shock collar - it wont take long with that on as dogs HATE getting shocked. I have recently put an electric wire along the top and bottom of my backyard fence to stop the dogs from taking off when I'm not home and boy did they scream when they got zapped. Not suprizingly they havnt tried jumping the fence since.

Just thought I'd mention my parents fox terrier - he was a killer and would pace up and down the sides of the bird aviaries and jump up at the mesh trying to get in. One day he suceeded by digging under the quail run and killed the quail in there. Another time he chewed his way through the wire mesh and killed again.

So what I did was layed upside down mouse traps around the avairies and sprinkled a light dusting of soil over them - which gave him a HELL of a fright when he next went to dig.

I then got my parents to turn the hose on him when he was pacing the aviaries as he hated water but he soon cottoned on that he only got wet if there was someone watching. So the second trick up my sleeve was to stand hidden inside watching out the window with a foghorn to blast when he tried getting in. Eventually he got the message! I eventually got him used to my chooks as well by the choke chain and rope method.

I have some experience in dog training....not much interest in training her though---she started the fight that sent My dog to the shelter. Yeah, I have some resentment towards her. Doesn't help.

ordinarily she wouldn't get out...she's inside 75% of the day, only out on-leash. Can't pen her up.

It's interesting...she will chase/kill on her own, BUT she goes crazier if a human is nearby. People ''trigger'' the attacks, sort of.
She's always been like this. She's not extremely dominant or anything. You can give her a stern look and she will squint/ wag her tail at you.
She's got separation anxiety as well... (very attached to me. )

I can totally understand your frustration. You really just need to decide what you want to do. My dog, Daisy, is a bird dog. I took her to my friend's home and my friend made the mistake of letting her out while there were still a few chickens loose. She took off straight after the first thing she saw running, which was her rooster. Daisy is very well behaved, eager to please, and well trained... to an extent. I haven't even had her a year yet. We adopted her from a shelter where she had sat for a long time because she's old, big, and black. She's 9 years old now and gets pain in her hips after too much exercise. My friend really didn't think she would do anything or even be able to. Daisy is strong, fast, and smart. She had some good training to start with but clearly didn't learn as much as she was capable of. I have been working with her on a pinch collar to train her around exciting distracting situations so she will listen to me and not her own instinct. It took a few months after we got her, but I can easily get her to sit by the door and stay while I leave the house without her rushing the door to get out.

My point is this, if the dog is trainable, and you love your dog, then taking the time to train is worth it. She still gets watery mouth when she hears the babies cheeping, but she doesn't act on her urge. She will sit at the door with it open while I"m in the bathroom playing with them.

some dogs, most dogs that start killing cant be trained. they get a taste for the kill. I do alot of training, but success rate for an animal killer isnt good. you might look into a buried fence for the dog.

Back
Top Bottom