When to add a third

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
We lost our hen yesterday (waiting for the necropsy, possible a partial crop obstruction). Wondering when we should add another (once we know it is safe to do so). Should we get a hen about the same age and add now, or would it be ok to wait until spring (the thought of raising a chick and introducing her during the winter is more than I want to deal with right now)? Wondering if the two can keep each other warm through the winter (our lows are in the 30s)? Will they be happier with a third ? They are approx 34 weeks old, have been laying for a couple of months. Thank you in advance. :)

I’m sorry about your loss, hoping it’s nothing catching!

I can’t help with the cold issue, but I completely understand not wanting to deal with chicks. It would be better if you can add two pullets at a time rather than a single. The older gals will be territorial and the newbie will need a friend. Also, you’ll want to quarantine and do the see/no touch introduction for a time as well.

I’m sorry about your loss, hoping it’s nothing catching!

I can’t help with the cold issue, but I completely understand not wanting to deal with chicks. It would be better if you can add two pullets at a time rather than a single. The older gals will be territorial and the newbie will need a friend. Also, you’ll want to quarantine and do the see/no touch introduction for a time as well.
Good advice, on all points. Trying to find a place to get vaccinated pullets in my area (Washington state-nothing listed in the list on this site), but no luck yet. MyPetCHicken has some that I like, but they stop sending pullets this week (don't think I will have the test results from the necropsy by the deadline). WIll look at McMurrays next- any other suggestions for a place to get vaccinated pullets?

Good advice, on all points. Trying to find a place to get vaccinated pullets in my area (Washington state-nothing listed in the list on this site), but no luck yet. MyPetCHicken has some that I like, but they stop sending pullets this week (don't think I will have the test results from the necropsy by the deadline). WIll look at McMurrays next- any other suggestions for a place to get vaccinated pullets?
I don’t get any vaccines if I order so I don’t I’m sorry. The big hatcheries will be your best bet I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom