When to buy chicken scratch?

What is best to feed my chickens on there about 3'weeks away from laying but the chick feed has about ran out what shall I get?

I kept mine on starter longer this time. I went through 2 big bags with 3 hens then gave them Layer. I didn't give them scratch til they were about 6months. I only give it as a treat! Sometimes they gulp it so fast they get it in their windpipes and I have to massage their throats...little piggies! LOL

It is vital to provide grit for caged chickens getting foods other than milled chicken feed. If your chickens have access to soil, there will usually be plenty of natural grit there. I see mine eat grit while foraging. Grit is their teeth; they wouldn't get nearly as much out of their food if it had to pass through whole.

This is what I have been looking for. Our hens free range almost all day. They are 11/13 weeks and haven't given them scratch, ever. They are very healthy birds. I have often wondered if scratch was needed for free range birds.

I have never purchased oyster shells. My girls lay beautiful eggs.I save all of my egg shells, carefully peeling the inner membrane out, I give that part to my dogs, they love it
love.gif
and it is a vital source of nutrition for them, then I let the shells dry and crush them and feed them back to my chickens. They contain all the calcium they need for nice eggs with thick hard shells on them.

I have never purchased oyster shells. My girls lay beautiful eggs.I save all of my egg shells, carefully peeling the inner membrane out, I give that part to my dogs, they love it
love.gif
and it is a vital source of nutrition for them, then I let the shells dry and crush them and feed them back to my chickens. They contain all the calcium they need for nice eggs with thick hard shells on them.
What happens if you give them the membrane? It seems like a lot of work.

love.gif

Why on earth do folks think they need to remove the membrane? Don't make things so complicated! Crack the egg, feed the shell to the bird. Don't peel, bake, nuke, etc. If you're really, really sure feeding a half shell will make your bird an egg eater, simple crush the shell in your hand or with a jar into smaller pieces. I've fed my birds half shells for 20 years and not had an egg eater.

My birds have never had oyster shells. They've free ranged since they were big enough to intimidate the only outside cat. I've never had a 'rubber egg' or one with no shell. Could that just be the reduced population of grasshoppers? Or is my local feed store's layer feed providing plenty of calcium?

I used to give them scratch, now my next door neighbor (who happens to be my mother) and I give them all sorts of kitchen scraps. Works great and costs less.

Chicken scratch is like candy. They don't have to have it. Usually, it is a nice winter treat. The feed is formulated to give them all the nutritional stuff they need but a treat now and then is kind of nice. I would save it for winter time and early spring.

Caroline

I have fed my chickens chicken, broken eggs, scrambled eggs, turkey,

Cannibalism worked for the Donner party of 37..I mean 28.....ummmmm....17

Chickens are omnivorous just like their prehistoric cousin T-REX

MMMMMMM

Caroline

Sorry if I offended anyone

Back
Top Bottom