When to correct curled toes and/or spraddle leg?

donnap1967

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Northern NJ
One of my silkies that hatched in the wee hours of the morning this morning, looks like it has curled toes and possibly spraddle leg. Not sure how bad yet because it has been sleeping pretty much all morning.

Once I get an idea on her problems how soon should I start correcting it? I know the sooner the better but do you usually wait a day or three to see if it corrects itself? Do you wait so as not to stress out a newborn too much, give it time to build it's strength up?

Thanks!

Morning Donna.
I don't know about the curled toes, but I think the spraddle should be splinted asap. It's really easy, and it gets the kid up on his/her feet so s/he gets to use/strengthen those leg muscles. The longer they stay splayed out, the harder it is to correct.....or so I have ready.

I did my little bantam cochin first day out, and he's just fine....The 3/4" bandage cut in half lengthwise worked perfectly for him....And never seemed to get in his way -- much to my surprise.

Susan

Thanks for the replies!
big_smile.png
I am going to go perform some orthopedic magic on my baby!

Yes do it right away. I had a chick with severly curled toes. She now has only one toe that is still curled, but considering that they all were when she hatched, I think that's pretty good!

9a7e0f87.jpg

This is my Frieda, she has done exceptional with her feet. I said when she hatched, I'd keep her as long as she could function without problems. She roosts on top of the nest boxes, I put shavings there so each morning I clean off the poo and brush over fresh shavings.
I never put anything on her feet, they are like the day she hatched. Hope you have as good of luck with your chicks as I have mine. ~Kel

I have discovered that I am the worst chicken orthopedist ever.
sad.png

The chic is a teeny silkie and the toe has little fur on it. I tried to have my daughter hold it while I taped and when the baby squirmed it got all messed up and took forever to carefully remove the band aid piece. (tried cutting some band aid and wrapping around the toe.)

It's not as bad as I originally thought. The chic doesn't have spraddle leg and only one toe is curled. The long one in the front. I stressed the poor thing out so much I am afraid to try again.

It's hard because it's squirmy and it's soooo tiny and the toes are close together.

I think I will try it again tomorrow with cardboard and medical tape.

I managed to get a little circle of cardboard on the bottom of it's foot, held down with a piece of band aid. I put it on Sunday and I am wondering how long do I keep it on?

It was so hard to put on I don't want to take it off too soon.

Wow, the poor thing. I love silkies. I hope you get it's legs to funtion well.
smile.png

I had some chicks with curly toes and I simply put scotch tape on the whole toe complex top and bottom. In two days they were nomal. No sign of it as adults. pip

Back
Top Bottom