When to cull agressive rooster?

Fentress

Songster
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Chesapeake, Va.
It's my first flock. A straight run of heritage breeds (New Hamp. Barred Rock & Speckeled Sussex). I have culled almost all of the cockerels. The pullets have started laying. They are about 20 weeks old. I am very pleased with the slaughter, it went well and the flock is more harmonious than before. I have 3 cockerels ( 2 speckled sussex & 1 New Hamp.) left and 19 pullets. A speckled sussex that I had planned to keep, he is dominant, has started to show some aggression towards me. Nothing major, just confrontational and attacking my leg. Will this get worse? I have been reading other posts and will try to rehab him, although it sounds like that may not work. If I cull him will the other speckled sussex cockerel also be agressive towards me once he becomes the dominant? I am under the impression that agression can be breed related or personality based. My big concern is do I compromise protection of the flock by culling an agressive rooster? Can a rooser that is not people agressive also be protective of the flock against predators?

Thanks

Mark

I have a similar problem. A BO roo who is challenging me. The only thing holding me back is that he handles the ladies so well. He finds food for them, he protects them and keeps watch constantly.
I'm not sure if his aggression is serious or if I am just not cut out for dealing with roosters. *sigh*

A rooster is not necessary if you don't plan on breeding your hens. They manage to find food, keep an eye out for predators, and basically take care of themselves if there is no roo around. I will not keep a human aggressive rooster around. I tried a few times, but it's just not worth it. I keep chickens for eggs, meat, and the joy of having chickens. Aggressive roosters take the joy out of having chickens. If I can't go out and do chores, watch my chickens, or just be outside without having to watch my back, I will remedy the situation. OP - will the second rooster become human aggressive if you get rid of the first one? There's only one way to find out. If he does, get rid of him, too. Go on Craigslist, look at the bulletin board at the feed store, take out a want ad - eventually you will come across a good rooster. They are out there. I know, because I have one. (Sorry, he's not for sale
wink.png
) Good luck, and I hope you can find a solution to your problem. Oh, one more thing - if you have small kids that live at your place, or ones that come to vist - DEFINITELY get rid of a mean rooster! You don't want a child to be injured - possibly seriously - by an animal on your place.

PS - Yes, it will get worse. "Just confrontational and attacking my leg" could well turn into "flying at me and drawing blood with his beak or spurs"

Also if there are small pets or children, your or others that come around he is a liability, my birds are penned but I have people that want hatching eggs so I have three non human aggressive roosters.

My (human) aggressive roosters always got worse.

I rehabed one and placed out the others in single rooster flocks with no children.

Quote: No, one rooster has nothing much to do with the other, though strains may be aggressive, as in some hatcheries were breeding nasty strains of Delawares I found years ago.

Yes, flogging will escalate. Some say kick him, but that only makes him sneakier, doesn't change his temperament.

You absolutely DO NOT need to have a human-aggressive rooster to have one who does what he needs to do as far as breeding and looking out for the hens.

This thread will show you one person's experience with a rooster who has battled numerous predators, though he is one in a million to have survived all that. He is not human-aggressive:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/521876/why-have-a-rooster-new-pg-10-video-pg-13
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/525626/fox-football-anyone

Neither my Blue Orpington (almost 6 years old) nor my Delaware (3 1/2 yrs) have ever been aggressive, but I've never had a predator loss, amazing considering where I live.

Why put up with a human-aggressive rooster when you can have one like my Isaac, who does his duty as he should, and is completely easygoing and friendly? Check out the video in this post for proof of what a rooster can be like:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/14610#post_8894682
Another video from photobucket: http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN5537.mp4

Ike was not handled much as a chick. He comes from a line of Delawares chosen for temperament. Some breeders may not care about that, but 99% of backyard flock owners and a large portion of quality breeders sure do.

I do not require my roosters to be cuddly, but I do require them to be intelligent enough not to attack the hand that feeds them.

I don't care if a rooster is a cuddle-bug, toddlers who are not any taller than a rooster should never be left alone to play around them. Even my own very sweet ones are nervous around loud kids.

Last edited:
I agree, off with his head!
yesss.gif
They get worse.

I never handle mine. They don't sit on my lap, and I don't get down to eye level with him. I call mine Captain, cause I am the General.

There are good ones out there, so go through yours and see, or go look at someone elses. The thing is, you really can't tell til they are more than a year old, if they are going to stay respectful of people. And there are nightmare stories out there where the prince turned into a monster. Remember they have a very small brain to train, and a huge amount of hormones. However, they are very good to eat, and you know that.

The warning with the kids is very important. Many a roo has ruined a child's experience with chickens, and many have hurt children, sometiems seriously.

MrsK

My wife was attacked as a small child, so when I was wanting a roo she was against it. I researched for nearly 2 months on temperment in breeds and got me a Splash Orpington cockerel. He is great. My wife can even pick him up( of course he prefers not to be, but does let us when needed). He even started eating out of my hand( that took over 4 weeks). Good luck, good ones are out there.

I had to cull my aggressive roo. I also got rid of two others. The one I kept was the one that had showed a little aggression while the dominant roo was around, but who I had taken to carrying around with me and not letting him mate while I was around. He became the only one I could pick up easily anymore, so I kept him. Poor guy has had to prove himself twice this week and has the missing tail feathers to prove it. He has stepped into his role as head of the flock seriously and displays all the good behaviors (find and checking out food and pointing it out to the girls, being on watch for the predators) but so far hasn't overstepped any boundaries with me and I can still pick him up and carry him around, which I do regularly just to keep him humble. I did lose 3 girls this week, but it was obviously not because he wasn't trying. He's a little beaten up right now.

Back
Top Bottom