When to intermingle the chicks?

pookiethebear

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I have 6 RIRs that are 5 weeks old and 7 variouse breed chicks that are 4 weeks old. I currently have them all in a 4x8 brooder separated by chicken wire. The younger ones are smaller than the reds, but they have been able to see each other for several weeks now. When can I take the divider out and let them co mingle? I am still working on the coop so they are still in my basement.....starting to smell.....

We just "blended" our first batch w/ our second. About 3 weeks apart about 2 1/2 months old. The older look like chiickens and are way bigger than the younger RIR's but it's the older 5 that are always cowering in the corner. Still, both sets seem to assert themselves and nobody seems to be getting beat up too bad. If they have been seeing each other for awhile like it sounds like yours have, they will probably be ok. Besides, the age difference is small. We have another batch that won't go in for a few weeks -- and next year we are ordering ONE batch and that's it. What a hassle to have 3 brooders, 3 feeders, 3 waterers, etc. etc. etc.

Welp, gotta go put the finishing touches on the coop.

Back
Top Bottom