when to introduce baby ducklings to adult pair?

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
I have a pair of Blue Swedish adults-male and female. I also have 6 baby ducklings bought from the feed store last Friday-so they are about 6 days old today. When can I put the babies in with the adults? They haven't seen each other yet, and the adults are new here also. I just got them on Friday and Saturday. They are over 2 yrs old but new to my house. They get along great with each other, but are still getting used to being here and us being near them. I don't want anything to happen to the babies by introducing too soon. I have them in a brooder box with heat lamp for now. Also on gamebird starter and will be for 2 more weeks. How will I do this-introducing and blending them- best and when?
Thanks,Lisa
this is Buddy and Holly
Buddy-Holly003.jpg

These are the babies-3 Blue Swedish and 3 Cayugas
ducklingschicks002.jpg

ducklingschicks003.jpg

Last edited:
maybe hold some and show it to the female because females can get nasty to babies if they don't want them or know they didn't hatch them.

Last edited:
Thanks. How old will the babies be when they are feathered and should they be feathered fully before going outside? We are just about out of the frost danger, but not quite. I can safely plant my gardens and flowers by May 15th here. Is it safer for them to put them out while they are little with the adult ducks or when they are bigger?
Lisa

Last edited:
they will be fully feathered by 4 months and start to feather my 2 months. You can put the ducklings in a cage so the adults can check them out with out hutring them, if there nice let the ducklings hang around with the adults. but watch them incase someone gets aggressive

This is my question also. I rescued a female pekin as a 2 1/2 week old hatchling who was not being received well after being dropped off by someone at the VA duck pond. The adult migratory ducks there literally tore one of her wings off. She is now just over a year old, has one wing, but she knows she is the apple of my eye and follows me everywhere. I do have a 10x10x 6 outdoor kennel for her with a small pool for bathing and swimming. I have purchased 3 ducklings this year hoping for at least 2 out of the three being Susies. When I rescued Bailey I was in the last weeks of chemo therapy. When she started laying an egg a day at about 6 months old, I ate the eggs. My hair grew back so thick and healthy, and so fast, and my skin improved dramatically. I had a friend at UTK test her eggs, and each egg had 20 g of protein. No wonder!! She is a pet, much loved, protected and these three will be also. But the eggs are a nice perk.
She has such a sweet disposition and gets along with the dogs just fine, a lab, a fox terrier, and a jack russel.
I am wondering how she will do with the ducklings, and I'm thinking about putting them out there in a kennel when the weather is warm enough so she can become familiar with them.
Input is greatly appreciated.

This is my question also. I rescued a female pekin as a 2 1/2 week old hatchling who was not being received well after being dropped off by someone at the VA duck pond. The adult migratory ducks there literally tore one of her wings off. She is now just over a year old, has one wing, but she knows she is the apple of my eye and follows me everywhere. I do have a 10x10x 6 outdoor kennel for her with a small pool for bathing and swimming. I have purchased 3 ducklings this year hoping for at least 2 out of the three being Susies. When I rescued Bailey I was in the last weeks of chemo therapy. When she started laying an egg a day at about 6 months old, I ate the eggs. My hair grew back so thick and healthy, and so fast, and my skin improved dramatically. I had a friend at UTK test her eggs, and each egg had 20 g of protein. No wonder!! She is a pet, much loved, protected and these three will be also. But the eggs are a nice perk.
She has such a sweet disposition and gets along with the dogs just fine, a lab, a fox terrier, and a jack russel.
I am wondering how she will do with the ducklings, and I'm thinking about putting them out there in a kennel when the weather is warm enough so she can become familiar with them.
Input is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BYC!

I think the kennel idea is great. It gives them time to introduce each other without being able to harm anyone if the introduction doesn't go well.

Thank you for your reply. I pulled one of the dog kennels out of the shed today and got it cleaned up for them. It's not warm enough for them to be out there yet, but when it is I'll be ready. I'm excited to see how Bailey responds to them, and they to her. :)

Back
Top Bottom