When to Introduce Orphan Chick?

Super Admin

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 26, 2006
Our orphan chick Vi is three weeks old. When should we put her outside with the big girls, 6-8 weeks right? While the others are free ranging we put Vi near them. She stays well away from them and they generally ignore her. Also Mother hen and her babies seem to be a little hostile towards her. Vi is very dependent on us and follows us around the yard. Is their anything we can do to make her less dependent? Thanks

I think 6-8 weeks is too soon. The big girls might murder her. The only way to make her less dependant would be to scare her, I think. Good luck! I hope it will work!

I didn't feel comfortable about putting her with everyone else at even 8 weeks. Maybe more like 3 months? I would hate to scare her, is there another way??

Three weeks is awful young to be letting her out full time. If you are with her that's fine. When she's around 8 weeks, it would be better, but she needs to have a safe place to go to get away should she need to.

And also about her being dependant on you--whe will for a while cuz she still young. Momma hens don't kick there babies out until about 8 weeks. so once she's about that age, she will start to venture more on her own. and as she gets older and finds her place in the pecking order, she will be fine.

So let her out when youre out, or at least watching her, and put her back in at night till she's older.

Hi, I can tell you what I did with my "singleton" chick to introduce him to all of the other chickens. During the day and night, I had a huge pen sort of thing, that I would put outside(it was made of chicken wire, even the roof of it). I would put the chick in it when he was outside,so that he could enjoy the fresh air/grass/insects etc. and also the older chicks or adults would come over to see him, but not be able to touch him. I did this until he was big enough(when he was big enough to defend himself). Then I let him go outside without the pen and watched... he got pecked a bit, but not very long. And so he found his place in the pecking order. He soon adjusted and fit right in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom