When to move to the big house

RamHemiTX

Chirping
Feb 6, 2015
I got 5 chicks on 8/18 (Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsumer, Double Laced Barvelder, Ameracauna, and a Rhode Island Red) so they are approaching 6 weeks. Up until this weekend, I was not sure how I was going to integrate them with my last remaining hen of my 6 Plymouth Barred Rock hens. The rest got eaten by something while free-ranging. Something got a hold of Miss Kay and ate her this weekend so integration is no longer the issue. It would have been my first time integrating new birds into the big coop. With that no longer being a concern, at what age is it acceptable to move them to the big coop?

They are currently in a 4'x4' brooder pen on my back porch and ideally I would like to move them to the big house as soon as possible. My coop is a 6'x'12 version of the Wichita Cabin Coop. I am sure that more detail is needed but I am looking for opinions... The coop is secure, I have no concerns of anything getting to the girls. Sleeping quarters are 3'x6'. I have had them in the brooder with no heater since it has not been cold at all. I have a heating pad contraption I built in case it was needed and could add it to the coop in case it gets cold. I could go on rambling but I'd rather hear some opinions...

They are in deed ready for the big house. I do not see a ramp in the big house hopefully it is a solid ramp so they have a easy time getting in and out. Good luck and don't let them out to free range anymore unless they are under watchful eyes.

They are in deed ready for the big house.  I do not see a ramp in the big house hopefully it is a solid ramp so they have a easy time getting in and out.  Good luck and don't let them out to free range anymore unless they are under watchful eyes.   

There is a ramp, just not in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom