When to name chicks

mamajochick

Hatching
Dec 23, 2015
Good morning! We just got a batch of chicks earlier this week. I'm guessing they will be about two weeks at the end of the week. This might be silly, but when do you name your chicks (if you do)? I know the first few weeks they're pretty fragile, and I think it would be less sad for me if they aren't named yet and I lose one. But I have names picked out and want to give them soon! :) Thank you!

I usually name mine the day I get them. But this time, I'll be selling about a dozen so I'm trying not to name them until I know which ones I'm keeping. I love naming them though. I usually pick a theme. Like name them after famous people/TV characters. Or pick the first letter of the name of the breed for the first letter of all their names. For example I have Buckeyes so I might name them Bea, Betty, Brandi...

Basically when their name is "revealed" to me?

Einstein was named because she's smart and had a persistent crown of gray down.
Dinah is my sweetheart lap chicken.
Gloria and Angelique are my white Plymouth rocks...they were sporting pure white feathers while their heads were covered in pale yellow down, like a halo.
Buster is a little partridge cochin bantam cockerel with a crooked beak like he got in a fistfight.

None of the others have names yet and range from 2 days old to 10 weeks, although I have a few ideas in mind for the four polish...

I've been wondering the same thing. We had a name planned for one before we got them, but after one died the first couple of days, we decided to hold off 'officially' naming any of them. However, we have started calling the nicknames based on their behavior - and I think those are gonna stick. One of them is yellow with very pale wings - and I keep referring to her as 'Blondie' but not being obvious sortof people, we're thinking Debbie. I have a tough little red-head - which makes me think Amy (as in Pond). The Black Star of course is going to be "Bowie".

One has yet to identify herself.

My husband told me not to name mine this time until they were mature and healthy, and he has a point because we've lost babies before. But in my head they already have names: Reba, Cassidy, Roxanne, and Maddie. I use their names when no one is looking...

When we got our chicks we started naming them all something chicken related lol we now have Pepper, Nugget,Filet, Popcorn (sidenote she is popcorn colored), Marsala, and Flower(who my 5 year old niece named haha). Their names stuck from the first day and honestly I have to have the names to talk to em and about them haha!
The only bad thing is when we got the ducklings we named the mystery duckling cream puff when she was fluffy and yellowish and now it's pretty clear she's going to be a brown cream puff duck! Haha

I have only named half of them. They free range, I'm only on a 1/3 acre and I still count heads every time I walk out the back door. I worry, but I know they're much happier. I lock them up at night, we have plenty of predators in the city.

Back
Top Bottom