When to put chicks outside in coop in winter?

My cookie tin heater I made. Once you drill the hole in the side, thread through your cut off extension cord, and hook it onto the screws on the light socket, put the lid back on top of the tin and put your water fount on top. Good to go!
smile.png

I'd also be very careful about putting them out with no heat if they've been used to it. So I think I'd just keep doing what you're doing for now.
smile.png
But once it gets really cold, that heat lamp may not keep the water unfrozen.

96635_img_3432.jpg

96635_img_3437.jpg

96635_img_3438.jpg

Last edited:
no offense taken here!!!

I apperciate all the input!. I feel very comfortable with moving them outside today, and we will keep them in the kennel they are in but move to the coop.

we will do what feels right with the waterer and just see what works.
smile.png
thanks SO much!

I have a question for those who feel the need to wean.

I understand that dogs that stay outside, grow a thicker coat. Same with Horses, not sure with cattle or other livestock.

Chickens have feathers and down. I don't believe it gets thicker the colder it gets.

Believe me, I struggled with putting mine outside in the cold, as I gave them human attributes. I am cold, therefore so must they be.

I used to put my day olds in a plastic box with a heat lamp. Now, it is a work light and a floor. Guess what? They didn't huddle under the light, they scattered and were chicks.

At 8 weeks old, they don't need acclimated. Put them out during the day and if you see them stressed, by golly gather them up and go warm them up.

In my experience, they will be absolutely fine......

But.... if you want to be an over protective mother, go ahead lol! Yep, make sure they call you if they are going to be up all night under that there light lol!

Back
Top Bottom