when to seperate chickens for breeding.

TexasAMquaileggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Texas
Dad and I have some Dark Cornish and white rocks that are 4 months old. When should we put them in a pen by themselves for making cornishX's. We've ordered 30 Standard Dark Cornish (15 pullets and 15 males) so we can pick the best ones for breeding. We're doing this for the 1st time as we have a big demand for the X's. I've been reading and reading ya'll articles but I've not found at what age to put them in a pen by themselves. We have them all in a big "community" pen with several other chickens. The white rock roosters have started killing ALL of our Texas A&M's for some reason but leave the jumbo browns alone. GO FIGURE. I love this site and ya'lls help will be GREATLY appreciated. TexasAMquaileggs.com

Last edited:
they are capapble of breeding usually around 20 weeks old, some later some earlier.
If the rooster is crowing and his comb is really red he is about ready.
If the hen is squating or laying then she's ready. I find it easier myself to seperate a little earlier to allow "family groups" and pecking order to get established early, there seems to be less of a battle between the hens and the roo this way - at least to me.

I kinda thought I should get them seperated earlier than to wait until their laying. I guess its about the same as on the ringneck roosters is dark red you know their ready. i've not messed with chickens much but since I got these for dad I'm having to teach him as we go too. I thank you for your help.

No problem! welcome to BYC and ask away with the questions . . . maybe someone who knows more than me will answer (there are a lot of them on here!)
big_smile.png

I know ALOT about gamebirds but when it comes to yard birds its a whole nother story. Thank you for welcoming me here. I think I need glasses now as much as I'm reading on here. Theres so much to learn but I didn't get to where my knowledge is my just a miracle or snapping my fingers. I kinda thought it was like 6 months for chickens so I HOPE they'll start laying in about a month. I'm very excited to be doing this meat project from now on. If I have a problem and it being something I mess up I can always butcher the bird and have the temp. problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom