When to start chicks on grit and supplemental feed?

PrudentPrepper

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2015
Ozarks
Ok, I have two sets of chicks - some that are approaching 8 weeks and others that are approaching 6 weeks. I have chick grit, and a garden full of leftover veggies (kale, carrots, etc) I want to start giving my chicks some extras besides just commercial feed. I have read different books on the subject and it seems everyone has different ideas of when to start giving chicks grit and other foods. Is it too early? Should I give the chicks grit in their food, or on the side free choice? How soon after giving them grit can I give them other foods? Should I watch them, so they do not eat too much grit? Any other advice? Thanks in advance.

You can give chicks grit when you get them. And treats shortly after. Just don't make it a larger part of their diet until later. Grit goes in it's own dish. Treats go on the floor or from your hand. We have two week olds, yesterday they got a black raspberry as a treat. They loved it. It wasn't their first treat, they got some carrot bits last week, and a bite of banana two days ago. The big chicks (about 13 weeks I think) got the rest of the banana, but none of them seemed to like it. :lol: My 9yo was giving our chicks worms from the garden around 2-3 weeks. It was so cute to watch them chase each other around fighting over it.

You can start them in the first week with a clump of sod from your yard (as long as it's not been treated with insecticides or herbicides) They'll peck at the grass, eat the grit, and even the soil. They get: a healthy dose of bacteria to jump start their digestive system, minerals from the soil, grit, the occasional bug, their first dust bath, fresh greens, and infinite entertainement. Are your chicks outside yet? At their age, they should be independent of heat, and in their coop/secure run. Enjoy!

Thanks guys, good idea on the sod! Will I have trouble with them eating too much grit since they haven't ever had it before? Will they think it is food? They aren't outside yet because I live in a city that frowns on owning chickens and am moving in a week and a half to the country. They will be inside until we move. They are almost off the light. I leave it on at night, but am progressively decreasing the time it is on day by day.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good idea on the sod! Will I have trouble with them eating too much grit since they haven't ever had it before? Will they think it is food? They aren't outside yet because I live in a city that frowns on owning chickens and am moving in a week and a half to the country. They will be inside until we move. They are almost off the light. I leave it on at night, but am progressively decreasing the time it is on day by day.
Absolutely there is a Science to feeding grit to chicks. It is important to feed the right size grit to the right age chick. Several reasons for this. Too small grit passes on thru the bird. The 2nd reason is to help the chick develop a larger, healthier, stronger gizzard as they grow. The gizzard is a powerful muscle and, if well exercised while the chick grows, ...once the pullet reaches laying age, the gizzard will help ready more feed for digestion. This results in more nutrition being uptaken by the G.I. tract ...nutrition for making more eggs. Up to a 20% increase in egg output over birds not on the grit schedule whe they were growing up. Here's an article I wrote on the subject. The bibliography listed at the end is fascinating. So much great info there.

The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry
By Karen Tewart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry

Here is a PDF from Gran-I-Grit which has feeding instructions on the 2nd page
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf
Excerpt from above: Their schedule:

Broilers: Feed Starter size for two weeks. Feed
Grower size for next four weeks. Feed developer-
Layer size after six weeks.
Layers: Feed Starter size for three weeks. Feed
grower size for next four weeks. Feed Developer-
Layer size after seven weeks.
Turkeys: Feed Grower for size for three weeks.
Feed Developer-Layer size for next five weeks. Feed
Turkey size for next six weeks. Feed Turkey finisher
size after fourteenth week.

Grit article from Fertrell Inc. http://www.fertrell.com/2014_sep_oct.pdf
( Note: If using Limestone make sure it is not high Magnesium kind. This kind is bad for poultry). Oyster Shell is a good alternative and easy to get. Gran-I-Grit is available to the public in all sizes for under 10.00 for 50 lb. bag of any size grit. "Starter" is the size we call "chick grit". I get mine at Agway.

Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom