When to start feeding layer feed???

nharbison0722

Chirping
May 26, 2016
Hi everyone! My chicks are supposed to start laying this month.
My local farm supply suggested that I go ahead and start them on layer crumbles. Any advice? Anything in addition that I should be giving them?
Thanks in advance!
Neil

Keep them on grower feed at least until all are laying eggs, with a separate dish of oyster shell on the side. You can feed an all flock feed forever, with the oyster shell separate. Mary

Go ahead and put them on layer, either pellets or crumble. An other option favored by many is to keep them on multi-flock, which is a higher protein, higher quality feed, and offer oyster shell on the side. You can also put out oyster shell free choice in addition to your layer. They will self regulate calcium intake if given a choice. Other options: I'm a huge fan/advocate of fermented feed. Super easy to do, and gives them a nutritional advantage over dry feed. I also sprout grains in the winter, since we are snow bound up to 6 months at a time. Keeping a deep litter in your run will give them even more nutritional advantages.

This time of year, maturing pullets take longer to start laying than pullets that mature in the summer. This means it could still be another couple months before they are all laying. The safest option is to keep them on the grower till they all lay. Starting layer feed too soon can cause damage to the kidneys, from the extra calcium, and can also slow down their development, due to the lower protein content.

I feed 2 mature hens and 3 pullets Feather Fixer 18% protein and make crushed eggshell and oyster available.
1 pullet just started laying, when the other 2 start, I will switch to layer pellets.
I also give them dog kibbles very day when I feed their flock-mate Coco the Chocolate Lab

Hi everyone! My chicks are supposed to start laying this month.
My local farm supply suggested that I go ahead and start them on layer crumbles. Any advice? Anything in addition that I should be giving them?
Thanks in advance!
Neil

How old are these pullets? Buy them some Kale or Cabbage to eat. It's good green feed and may help bring them into lay. Just hang it up in their run and they will eat it.
Thanks,
Karen

How old are these pullets? Buy them some Kale or Cabbage to eat. It's good green feed and may help bring them into lay. Just hang it up in their run and they will eat it.
 Thanks,
 Karen

Thanks for the advice! I'm sure it will keep them busy plus the kale has lots of calcium!
Take care!

Back
Top Bottom