When to start sexing?

Areolyn

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2014
De Leon, Texas
I want to say I can sex the mat 6 weeks, but what is your recommendation?

Mine are about 4 weeks now, but I can already tell at least two are cockerels because the comb is bright red and is already starting to get big. If I can I'll get pics later either tonight or tomorrow.

Also, what's the earliest you successfully sexed chickens?

Examples I have from my 4 week olds:

Pretty sure this is a rooster.

This really looks like a pullet to me; she/he is a standard that got mixed with my bantam special on accident from the hatchery.

This one is iffy. I can't tell if it is a rooster or pullet; its a splash frizzled cochin.

Sorry about the blurry pics; the last two were squirming around. And please don't mind the dates on the pictures, camera's messed up and I don't know how to change the date and time on it.

4 weeks is a little young to tell gender accurately. Gender is usually more obvious by 6-8 weeks of age. However, right now I am leaning towards the chick in your first photo being the only cockerel for now.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the week after next will be a little easier to tell; I just don't need anymore roosters lol! I have many more but taking a picture of each would be too long and a lot of effort due to their wiggliness. As for the first one, I'm reaaally thinking rooster.

Back
Top Bottom