When to start to worry about frostbitten combs?

TheSitcomGirls

Songster
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
:( It was -9 here in CT last week one morning and I noticed my rooster Spock's comb starting to turn black on the tips. The coop got down to a balmy 15 degrees that night. I have never had an issue with frostbite before in 4 winters of keeping chickens in the same coop except for a few single comb hens that lost the very tips. I have 23 hens and 1 rooster. Their coop is 15' x 16'.

My coop doesn't smell like ammonia and I fluff up the bedding every morning and put some fresh chips down. Then I do a complete clean out in the winter every four weeks. On the below zero wind chill days I have been keeping my chickens inside. When it is this cold my chickens look outside and refuse to go out anyway! Is it possible that because a chicken grows up in a warmer climate that it's comb is not as resistant to frostbite as a chicken who grows up in Canada or Alaska? Even if the chicken's are the same breed? I see pictures of other people's chickens running around in the snow and it's amazing to me. Until I shovel and put hay down, none of mine will go outside if there is even a dusting of snow.

Last night it was 10 degrees outside (and - wind chill), 16 degrees in the coop. This morning I noticed two blisters underneath the blackish areas on Spock's comb. How bad is Spock's frostbite? What do I need to watch out for? Are the blisters a sign of infection to come or just what happens...like with a regular burn.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spock:

Spock's blisters:

3 year old Ancona hen with no damage to comb this year. When it is cold or rainy she almost never goes outside. She did lose a couple points of her comb last winter.

There is no treatment for frostbite that I know of. Even on humans the frostbitten area is cut off because it turns black and dies. On a chicken it is a little different because there is less connective tissue it falls off on its own. All you can do is try to prevent it the next time.

thing is I tried to prevent it, I put petroleum jelly on the combs yesterday, guess they rubbed it off of I didn't put enough on?? do you think it is bad enough that I will lose her?

No, not her just a bit of her comb. As long as they don't get frostbite on their feet (very rare even in Canada) they will be fine. Most older chickens that you see missing a point or two on their combs was because of frostbite at some point in their lives. You could try to warm them up a little bit, but for the already frostbitten area it will just fall off after awhile.

No, not her just a bit of her comb. As long as they don't get frostbite on their feet (very rare even in Canada) they will be fine. Most older chickens that you see missing a point or two on their combs was because of frostbite at some point in their lives. You could try to warm them up a little bit, but for the already frostbitten area it will just fall off after awhile.
ok good , I have her and the other 4 in the basement its about 40 deg.f down there is that warm enough? I didn't want to get them too warm so I could put them back outside when the temps rise a bit.

Chick rookie- There is not much you can do nos. I would dab a little vasilene on it. It will either heal or a little bit will turn black and fall off. As far as the 40 degrees, It is suppose to be 40 degrees here on saturday that is when I would put them back out.

Yes, they should be fine down there. Remember that there is humidity in basements so while it may be warmer and less of a risk of getting more frostbite I would still put vasseline on their combs just in case. It also prevents the others from pecking at the already effected areas.

Back
Top Bottom