When to stop feeding my chicks chick starter?

fizzyizzy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Northern NSW, Australia
I have six 3-week old chicks, and I am feeding them chick starter. Should I have stopped feeding them chick starter by now? And if so, could I feed them canola and wheat seeds? And how long should chicks be on chick starter f'or?? Thanks

If separate starter and grower is available in your area, you can switch them from the starter feed to the grower at 6 to 8 weeks. If you switch them to the grower feed, feed them that until 18 to 20 weeks of age or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. You can also just keep them on the starter 'till then.
If you just feed them canola and wheat seeds as their only source of feed, they'd be lacking many nutrients. If you mean as a treat, I started giving my chicks treats at around 3 weeks.
smile.png

I feed my flock starter/grower from Purina. I offer oyster shell free choice. The feed is 18%, but I free range them all day. This is the feed I start on day old chicks too. I just get the 5lb bag for day olds as it is mash, then switch to crumbles at 3 weeks.

If separate starter and grower is available in your area, you can switch them from the starter feed to the grower at 6 to 8 weeks. If you switch them to the grower feed, feed them that until 18 to 20 weeks of age or when you get your first egg; whichever comes first. You can also just keep them on the starter 'till then.
If you just feed them canola and wheat seeds as their only source of feed, they'd be lacking many nutrients. If you mean as a treat, I started giving my chicks treats at around 3 weeks.
smile.png
x2 Except I never skip the grower.

Back
Top Bottom