When to switch feed

I recently changed over to layer pellets from grower crumble. A couple of days before I switched over I tossed layer pellets on the ground instead of scratch grains. They looked at it for a couple of seconds and gobbled it down. I did this for 3 days. Now they're eating pellets from the feeder. GC

Great idea Iam going to try that when my chicks are ready to switch over to layer feed

I know, I should of just went with my gut. Being a first time chicken owner and all I just hoped she was right. We usually speak with the owner but she wasn't in and I "thought" the employee new something. Lesson learned! The owner picked out our chickens and sent me home with everything I needed. She was awesome.

I will try throwing the food on the floor. They seem to like to eat it off the ground but If I don't see anything really missing than I will have to go get crumble. I have found out my chickens are REALLY picky eaters. They only eat certain veggies and others they won't touch. I will even try again and they won't touch it.

I know, I should of just went with my gut. Being a first time chicken owner and all I just hoped she was right. We usually speak with the owner but she wasn't in and I "thought" the employee new something. Lesson learned! The owner picked out our chickens and sent me home with everything I needed. She was awesome.

I will try throwing the food on the floor. They seem to like to eat it off the ground but If I don't see anything really missing than I will have to go get crumble. I have found out my chickens are REALLY picky eaters. They only eat certain veggies and others they won't touch. I will even try again and they won't touch it.

Yea I hear yea my chickens won't eat earth worms,but they gobble down insects that they catch.Try mixing new and old 50/50 in the feeder.GC

They started eating the pellets! I had to throw some on the ground than they started eating it out of the feeders.
1f606.png

Chickens are naturally cautious, and will be leery about anything new. Once one tries it and likes it though there is a good chance the rest will follow by example. The first time I held out a hand filled with dried mealworms nobody would get within a foot of them. That lasted about two days, now they go crazy over them.

Last edited:
Chickens are naturally cautious, and will be leery about anything new. Once one tries it and likes it though there is a good chance the rest will follow by example. The first time I held out a hand filled with dried mealworms nobody would get within a foot of them. That lasted about two days, now they go crazy over them.

Hahahahaha chickens are so funny that way mine are crazy like that too when I first cave them watermelon they did not eat until 3 hours later one started eating it then they all came over ate it so now they go crazy over it!!

They started eating the pellets! I had to throw some on the ground than they started eating it out of the feeders.
1f606.png
Hey that's great.
2 of my 17 week old girls started making weird sounds and scratching around nervously on the coop floor moving the straw to one corner.
I think they're close to lay.
So I rushed to finish building the nest boxes and put them in the coop last night.
No eggs this morning, just the fake ones. GC

Well I got my first egg from my flock of 5 chickens, on their 4 month birthday to the day.
A perfect egg a little on the small side.
I will try to post a picture, it'll be the brown one. The white one is ceramic.

So if you have sex link chickens like I do or white leghorns. Sixteen weeks is not too early to start feeding layers feed in my opinion. GC

Back
Top Bottom