When to turn off light?

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
At some point I turn the light off at night, right? When? And how do I keep them warm? They shouldn't be under 24 hours of light until they go outside, should they? You knowledgable people are so wonderful to sit here and answer everyones questions like this.

I left the light on in my brooder box untill they had feathers, and was ready to go outside. Hope it was the right thing...must have been...they all made it!
smile.png

Thank you, justusnak, for your replies to my questions. I don't know where I'd be without the backyard chicken forum. I read a few books before I ordered the chicks and thought this whole thing would be a snap. It is, kinda, a snap still, it's just nice to not have to blindly stumble through this without any human help. Anyway, thanks again.

Right now, it is 32° in the coop. The heat lamp is doing it's job. It is always plenty warm near that lamp. My chicks are happy and very energetic! By the way, it is 6° here! That lamp does NOT get turned off for a while!

when mine were a week I started turning mine off at night cause they were in my bedroom-then turned it on about 4 hours when I fed them in Morning. 4 more in afternoon-and 4 more when I fed them at night. then lessened the time every day. When they had nothing but regular light for a week I started Taking them outside over the next week for longer periods of time each day, in a dog crate. then I gave them the boot-lol

I leave a 100 watt light on my chicks in the brooder in my house 24/7. I reduce the wattage to 60 watts at about 3 weeks but still leave it on 24/7. The light is to keep them warm and they need to eat regularly for the first few weeks. Some people buy the red bulbs or I understand there are blue ones that don't emit so much light. I would not dream of not provideing 24 hour heat for chicks until they are at least 4 weeks old if then. There are lots of interesting and differing ideas with the new people on this board. I always mention that when in doubt try to do what the mama hen does. She provides her body for warmth all day and night and since the light bulb is for warmth not really for light, then it makes sense to try to duplicate the mama's care.

Jaynie, Bryant Alabama

Bokbok, peeps can become chilled very easy and that will kill them.I provide heat until they have feathered out at 8 weeks old, unless you live where it's very mild weather.

Peeps will pile on each other also and that will cause smuthering. Safe to leave on 24/7.

bigzio

We left the light on in our pen til the chicks had feathers, than turned it off when everyone else went to roost; but they were with their mom then, and I heard that they don't really need a light at all it fhey're with her. Their mom died so they're inside the house now but they still love to sit under the light on cold winter days...even though they're three months old now. They get upset when we turn it off at night.

well just saying thats how I did mine There in the bedroom and I do cover the crate up with a blanket never lost a chick yet. Different strokes guys thats why they ask every plan different and they got a selection

Back
Top Bottom