When to turn off light?

My chicks aren't even 1 week old yet, so I am still learning. So far, I leave my light on all the time, but it is on a pully system, so I can raise it higher during the day (when it's warm here in Central FL) and lower it at night so it's warmer. I also have a digital temp gadge in there so I can see how warm it is from my house, and adjust the height as needed. My husband is so smart, all his ideas. I check on them regularly and they seem to sleep just fine with the light on. I use a heat light with a reflector, it's a good sized brooder.

jumpy.gif

If you get one of thoes light switch dimmer thing it might be more energy efficient than just moving the light up and down. I just keep the lights on all day and night for the chicks till they are about 8 weeks old, switching from a 100W bulb on a dimmer to a flourecent light about 6 weeks in. They then out they go into the grower coop where they don't have artificial lighting or heat. Everyone is tough and haven't had any problems with this method, they make a ruckus the first few nights without light but get the hang of it pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom