When, why, or if I should worm?

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
I"ve seen alot of conflicting stuff on here about worming. From what I understand, some say to worm twice a year, just for kicks. Some say only to worm if you see one in their poo..I've never dewormed my girls, I've only had them for about a year and a half. They are in my back yard, with my dog and sometimes cat.
Also, if you deworm, can it affect children? My kids will run around outside, most of the time, with shoes on. I really hate cleaning poo off of bare feet...gross! But, sometimes, they get out without shoes...Can they pick something up from their feet?
Thanks
Anne

If you see worms in their poop they need wormed...

Losing allot of weight looking scruffy take a poop sample to local vet for checking and costs around 11 to 15 dollars.

Also can just do a once or twice a year fecal sample to vet to keep peace of mind.

We have 2 flocks and have their poop checked once a year or so and have not had worms for many years, but we are in Arizona and they are not as common here as in wetter climates. I do not medicate our flocks unless we know there is a problem, but that is just us....

Back
Top Bottom