When will chickens start laying if it's winter

billdane

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2015
Wilsonville AL
Hey brand new to this site just trying to figure out when my babies are going to start laying. I'm in Alabama it is November 13 and it is starting to get semi cold and my oldest chickens are about to be 24 weeks and still no eggs. The rest are only about 6 weeks younger than they are. I have them all on grower feed bc I didn't want the younger ones to get the calcium just yet if they don't need it but I do have calcium free of choice. Will they lay this winter at all or should I look forward to waiting till spring?
Thanks
Billy

As daylight hours get shorter chickens of laying age slow down or cease egg laying until daylight returns to 14+ hours again. Since your hens are just at that stage where they would normally start laying it may not be until spring until you start getting eggs from them.

I don't know if this will help if they haven't started laying yet. But many flock owners add artificial light in the morning so the total light hours (artificial + natural) equals 14-17 hours to extend the laying season. I guess you could give it a try.

What breed are they? I've had pullets start laying Christmas week without additional light. They aren't as dependent on light to lay their first year. Older hens do need it. It will happen.

What breed are they? I've had pullets start laying Christmas week without additional light. They aren't as dependent on light to lay their first year. Older hens do need it. It will happen.

I agree. My spring-hatched pullets usually begin laying around 24 to 28 weeks of age, without supplemental light. I currently have three pullets that hatched May 24, and two have just started laying. They'll be 25 weeks old in 2 days.

So, I think it's very likely you'll be seeing eggs from them within a month. Best of luck to you!

I've had production bred birds literally start laying on the winter Solstice. As Percheron Chick and song of joy said, first year birds don't seem as dependent on light as an older bird. Now, that's more for production bred birds. Ornamentals may make you wait until spring.

This is much better news to hear! The ones that are 24 weeks are barred rocks and Rhode Island reds. And the younger ones are speckled Sussex, light brama, and black astrolorp. And yes I have heard of the artificial lighting but I think I'm going to avoid that mainly bc I heard it is healthier for them to have breaks and they will ultimately lay longer without it.

Back
Top Bottom