When will my white leghorn start laying?

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
I bought 25 chicks from McMurray hatchery and they arrived on November 12 this year. I ordered a white leghorn pullet and I have never had this breed before. From what others have said, they start laying earlier than other breeds. I was curious, so that is why I ordered one. I am really wanting to know an estimated time when she will start laying so that I can start looking for eggs. Here is a picture of her, to get an idea. I was hoping she would start laying at about 4.5 months but I think it will be longer than that.

Thanks!

You need to give them a motivational speech like I have with mine every so often. I used visual aids this time, trust me it works :)

No those are'nt any of mine going on the BBQ, mine are treated better than my dogs. I had just gathered the eggs which were sitting on the outside table when I went out to put the other chicken on the BBQ.

Last edited:
That really looks like a white rock to me. I've been raising leghorns for years and that is just way to big to be a leghorn! I've never had a white leghorn hen more than 4 1/2 pounds......
you might be right, or maybe she's a cross? Because she has just started laying and she is laying a cream colored egg with brown speckles, beautiful!

You need to give them a motivational speech like I have with mine every so often. I used visual aids this time, trust me it works :)

No those are'nt any of mine going on the BBQ, mine are treated better than my dogs. I had just gathered the eggs which were sitting on the outside table when I went out to put the other chicken on the BBQ.
yuckyuck.gif

thanks for your advise..i did just that i put some fake white eggs in their bedding..and followed along...they are now all laying everyday..and some are brooding ..
yippiechickie.gif

Also forgot to mention that that is a red sex link behind the leghorn. She is much bigger than the leghorn but her comb is smaller. People say they start laying pretty early too, but I am not sure. I have been used to waiting 5.5 to 6 months for chickens to start laying. I was hoping these would mature out quicker and surprise me. Anybody know when she might start laying also?

the leghorn should start laying at around 16-17 weeks old. the sexlink around 5- 7 months old. i have 9 of each in my flock and they are egg laying machines.

Hmmm so she is about 18 weeks now. I guess I will start looking for eggs although, I still think she has several weeks to go. Her comb is not very large compared to other leghorn hens I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom