When will the girls start to use the roost?

6 wk old RIRs bounced right up to the top roost as soon as I finished installing them, 18, 36, and 54". They're all over them like a bunch of monkeys. Cooler nights some will still get under the heat light.

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
Sleeping chickens POOP a ton!!!! This makes a mess of the nesting boxes.

My roo sleeps in a nesting box...but he lost some toes and it's easier on his little legs to sleep there. Didn't take much encouragement on our part.
tongue.png
But yes, lots of poo to clean up.​

Currently all 8 of my 7-8 week old chicks are sleeping in one nesting box they love to play on the roosts during the day in the coop and in the run, but at night they are all in the one nesting box:idunno it is very cute and cozy I am sure. At what point do I force them on to the roost, and how would I keep them from the nesting boxes? I do want them to go in there to lay eggs eventually!

My six week old chicks (1 RIR, 2BO) started using their roost for the first time tonight. The weather forecast said it was going to get down into the 50s tonight so I went out to close their big window and all three were looking back at me from their roost instead of piling on the floor like they had been. It was so cute.

Back
Top Bottom