When would you add more?

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
I've got four hens right now. I have a 4x4 coop and a 4x8 run but mine range the backyard from sun up to sun down every day. If I go on vacation (maybe once per year), a neighbor lets them out in the morning and locks them up in the evening.
So, my four are nearing a year old. And four in their prime laying years is about all I really need. But I do want to get a couple to be close to laying when my other ladies start slowing down so they're kind of staggered in age. And I've got one hen who is quick to go broody so I'd be getting chicks and sneaking them under her. However, since I'd only need two I may not be able to get 1 day olds.
The breeds I have are 2 wyandottes, 1 buff brahma and 1 dominique. I'd want to add a dominique, maybe two because mine has been a phenomenal bird and producer.

This is my first flock so I'm not sure when they'd start to slow down. I tried to select breeds that will lay for longer number of years. So my questions are:

1. What age should I expect these ladies to slow down in egg production?
2. Do the chicks have to be a maximum of 1 day old in order for a broody to adopt them? Or can they be a few days to a week old?

My back yard is 1/2 an acre which is where they range all day. I'm in the south and it doesn't get cold enough for them to have to stay inside the coop for any length of time.

My questions were:
1. What age should I expect these ladies to slow down in egg production?
2. Do the chicks have to be a maximum of 1 day old in order for a broody to adopt them? Or can they be a few days to a week old?

Last edited:
Me, personally? I wouldn't have any more than the 4 hens you now have in a coop that size irregardless of the fact that they are outside free-ranging.

I agree. You must be getting along pretty good but even one more head could really change things. If you want more chickens, you really need a bigger set up.

The problem with older chicks, is not the broody, but the chicks, they don't bond with mama. I have had moderate success with chicks 3 days old, but the younger you get them the better.

Your hens should have started laying either right before December or right after, and should have laid steady for the most part. They should continue to do so until Decemberish this coming year. They will slow production and go into a molt. However, as they come out of the molt and the days get longer, you should get very good production again and bigger eggs. They will be coming two.

They should lay well through that summer, they may slow down quicker and keep from laying as they molt a little longer. The year they are coming three, there should be a slight decrease in egg production, say a drop of one or two eggs less a week....... but this is variable, some might lay more, some might lay less. However, this is the time, when having fresh layers coming into the flock is often considered a necessity. Your birds may just die rather unexpectedly at this time too. They are just getting older.

I try and have 3 different ages, 3's, 2's and 1's..... or chicks, coming 1's, and 2's..... depending if you are counting spring or fall....... however, I free range a lot, and it seldom works out that way.

If you add chicks in your current set up, you will need to get rid of older hens or build a bigger set up pdq, you will have stress in your flock.

Mrs K

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the two least productive hens would be on their way out when newbies come in.

Most production birds like yours molt and take a break from laying around 18 months. So, if you bought your birds in spring 13, they started laying fall 13, laid through the winter, they'll usually lay until fall 14. They molt, and mine usually just break until early spring, then start back up. I don't supplement light or do anything else to get them to lay during the winter. When they start back up, they lay a little less than the year before. In the fall, they again molt and quit laying for the winter. Start back up the next spring, again slightly less egg production. Repeat, repeat, repeat. There is some variation to this cycle, but it's been pretty consistent over the years for me.

I've always been told the younger the better to graft chicks to a broody. I've consistently done it with 3-5 day old chicks, by the time they're shipped from the hatchery, maybe in the feed store a day or two, that's how old they are. Not usually a problem at that age. I did try pushing the age thing this year and grafted 4 silkie chicks to a hen that were 10 days old. They took just fine, honestly I was pretty surprised! I thought they wouldn't see her as momma, but they snuggled right in and she's had them about 3 weeks now, everyone's happy.

Back
Top Bottom