When you step on one of your adult chickens do you get mad or sad?

When you step on a chicken do you feel

• Upset: Get Out Of My Way!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sad: Sorry about that!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
So, I go outside to visit the girls (the feathered ones) and as I'm walking they all get up under me feet. No matter how careful I am they seem to have some magic power that allows them to slip one of their feet under my foot at the last second.

All at one moment I have this rush of feelings of feeling bad and frustration at the same time.

What about you? Or am I the only one with this problem?
hu.gif

Know what you mean. Am I the only one who has run into, oh say the coop door, because I am looking not to step on the girls? Have you ever fallen down...no neither have I.

I feel bad...but I have learned to bring in a few treats so I can get them out of the way to get to the feed. I still end up stepping on the littler ones that still don't get it that there were treats thrown out. LOL

Sad, mainly because a chicken tripped me once and caused me to fall onto my favorite chick, a black polish. Me landing on a 2 month old chick broke her, and I had to cull her afterwards.
I'm used to milling, tripping cats so I'm still not sure how the offending roo managed to make me completely lose my balance and go crashing down.

Now I'm super careful because I don't want to relive that sad day.

I haven't ever stepped on a chicken, but my dog does it all the time. It's totally his fault every time.

Now as for the cats, I seem to step on them every once in a while, and I feel pretty bad about it, but also a little frustrated that they can't learn not to dash right under my feet!

Both. It hurts to step on a chicken, but they knew that I was walking in that direction.

I train mine with the words 'watch out' as I am walking. I say them loudly and repeatedly as I am walking. Some invariably do get a toe pinched now and then but they remember the words and as they get older, certainly know better!

I train my birds the same as I would a dog, cat or horse, they learn voice commands quite easily. As with anything, repetition and observation is key. They are fully capable of comprehending words with certain behaviors. I have some pet lizards that know some simple word associations too.

Back
Top Bottom