Where can I buy smaller amounts of chicken feed?

Shockadine

Hatching
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Hello. I'm totally new to this forum and new to chickens too. I have 2 Bantam Barred Cochins. They are about 10 weeks old now. I was wondering if there was some place I could order organic food in maybe 10lb-20lb bags. 50lbs is a little much for 2 chickens I think. There is only one feed store in my area and they don't sell organic feed.

While I'm at it, I bought them from an assorted bunch of bantie chicks that were supposed to be all females, but I ended up with a boy and a girl. I love him too much to care now, but I was wondering about when I switch her to a layer feed. Can he eat it too? Thanks in advance.

I have read that there is too much calcium in the layer feed for roosters and non laying hens, but it isnt practical to try to feed them different feeds, so most roosters just eat the same food and seem to be fine.

If you look on line for the Purina website, you should be able to locate the nearest dealers. They produce layer pellets and crumbles in 25 lb bags and may also have that size available in their newer organic feed.

Otherwise, call around to some pet stores. Sometimes they sell feed by the pound, or check to see if they will order some 25 lb bags of feed for you.

chel

Find a local feed store. I buy 10 lbs. bags that they break up from 50 lbs. all the time. Cost $3.00 and I don't have to store a large bag.

Just be careful if they have chicks in you might come home with more then just feed.
smile.png

Marsha

Dito on that, our feed store sells 5 and 10 pound bags out of 50 pound sacks that break open.
Last time I went in alone My wife found 2 turkeys and a pheasant when she came home. purely a coincidence i'm sure
wink.png
but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom