Where did you get your chickens?

orpingtonbabies

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
I wanna get my first chicks this spring and was wondering where some BYCers got their birds. So any favorite hatcheries? or did you buy from a feed store? Breeders?

Thanks!

We got our first chickens form a hatchery. Feed store would work the same.

Later we started ordering eggs from breeders, and then bought some stock from breeders

we started with hatcheries then switched to breeders. we used Mypetchicken for are hatcherie but after that we started buying from local breeders.

Silkies came from local breeder, then an order of 7 from MPC. BO, BLRW, and FBCM, chicks/pullets locally. For hatching eggs, I bought serama's, and FBCM's locally, and ordered a few others from here.

We first began with a hatchery, then switched to breeders a year later and never turned back.
smile.png
Plus, when using breeders, you don't need to go back to them shortly later for more. . . Unless you want to add to your collection.
big_smile.png

Most of our birds came from breeders right here on BYC, a couple of them from local breeders, too.

My vote is to buy from breeders if you can. There are some really beautiful Orpingtons bred by folks who love the breed. And hatching chicks is great fun!

Baby Orpingtons, fresh out of eggs bought from a breeder here on BYC:

Back
Top Bottom