Where do I get my chickens?

Chicken999

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 27, 2015
I've been searching around on the internet and I can't find a chicken provider suitable for me. My local feed store doesn't have the breeds I want and everything on the internet sells chicks only. I want ready-to-lay hens but nothing has them, only chicks. Also, a lot of online providers make a minimum on how many you can buy. I just want 3 or 4 new chickens and online things sometimes give you a minimum of 5 chickens. I am really stumped.
sad.png

Last edited:
Online hatcheries sometimes also have the option to buy "started pullets". These are still babies, but are around 10-16 weeks old. There's usually no minimum order amount. I've bought several of these from Murray McMurray Hatchery online and have had great success with them.

Even McMurray has a minimum of thirty. When chicks are shipped, they usually keep them in large numbers for warmth. They sell pullets but they are quite expensive with shipping. Your best bet is to keep an eye on Craigslist or feed store bulletin boards. Also, you can place an ad asking for pullets. Or, if there is a poultry show in your area, meet some breeders who will be willing to sell off some of their flock.

Back
Top Bottom