Where Do You Stand With Incubation?

What Do You Support?

• Total voters
for our children to get some hands on experience, we started with an incubator and followed the development day by day with an educational video. the kids loved being able to watch the chicks hatch and to hold them right away and keeping them indoors for weeks so they could hold them every day. it has become clear to me that this preference is about the kids and our experience and not what is best for the chicks, though I have nothing against it, I just prefer a broody hen now that the kids have had their fill of that kind of experience. as the kids have aged we've shifted to getting the chicks out into the coop on day one if we incubate or buy chicks. they seem to do so much better with a larger area to run around as long as they have heat, like a mother heating pad or wooley hen. I've found this to be true even in early spring when the temps are still a bit cold, chicks are very good at regulating their temperature if given a good warm spot to go to when needed. I've come to really not like heat lamps, so I will be using a mother heating pad and expirementing with a wooley hen from here out as much as possible if I don't have a broody hen.

my strongest preference is for a broody hen because it is the best for the developing chick, from what I've experienced. starting out with an incubator can really make you appreciate a broody hen! She turns the eggs plenty, maybe even more than we an automated system, with exacting precision she regulates her temperature with the simple venting of heat by raising her quills or, with a slight adjustment of her feathers can conserve heat. this is also true of humidity. a reliable broody hens is a master at balancing all the variables for a very good hatch and very healthy chicks as long as her basic needs are met. once the chicks hatch, there is nothing quite like watching her teach her babies how to forrage, what to eat, what to look out for. a good broody hen has a wide vocabulary for communicating many things about the trials and tribulations of chick life. I watched our broody hen, with a specific subtle cluck communicate to her chicks that there was danger in the sky above, and all the hens took cover. I looked up and way up within the stratosphere was the faint outline of a jet plane. it was wild to see the chicks come running for the protection of her wings. Occasionally I throw worms in for the chicks and the mother takes them and makes a specific sound, seemingly calling to her chicks that something extra delectable had arrived. She takes the worm from me and instead of gobbling it down, she throws it on the ground and pecks at it and continues to alert the chicks as she breaks it up into pieces for them. I don't remember where I read it but I have read that the vocabulary of chicks raised by broody hens is larger than those raised in a brooder and I can definitely see how that would be the case.

So I like both broody hens and incubators for different reasons. I think of the incubation and indoor brooding as a special experience for those times when we want hands on, up close, educational and fun experiences. I see the broody hen as the better long term option, year on year, at least when "the stars align" and the timing works out for having fertile eggs and a willing hen.

Gail this sounds just like me! only my grandchildren and I only started keeping chicken's a about 18 m months ago :)
It has become such a hobby with me and now with my grandchildren. We look forward to each spring when the incubators come out. 3 of my teacher friends all have started incubating, as I did as a teacher, which means even more children will learn about the joy of raising chicks. One bonus for me is that all 3 of these teachers give me their chicks when they get too big for their classroom. I am getting 4 more next week!

I was amazed when the day old chick I bought at a feed store grew up, went broody, hatched her chicks and was the perfect mother. She had never even seen a mother hen! Yet she knew exactly what to do. She was the perfect mother hen! This is not true of mammals, or at least not true of primates. So, incubating didn't breed out the broody in her.

I was amazed when the day old chick I bought at a feed store grew up, went broody, hatched her chicks and was the perfect mother. She had never even seen a mother hen! Yet she knew exactly what to do. She was the perfect mother hen! This is not true of mammals, or at least not true of primates. So, incubating didn't breed out the broody in her.

I agree!

Thanks! Yes I was planning on using it just for one momma and her babies. We also built an run extension to attach to it that is another 5 feet long. Thanks!

Yes. That could work, assuming size is for 2 to 3 birds. They would outgrow it depending on the hatch size, but babes don't take much space for the first 2 to 3 weeks.

The ramp may or not be a problem.
My hutch ramp is too high for the first week..or two.. as it is waist high. About half manage and about half set up down below.

In my other side coop, I have a knee high ramp, and they use that pretty easily after the first few days...which works well as mom doesnt move chicks really for the first two days.

Looks good for a hen and her babes.
LofMc

I think it depends on the situation. I do both. I love to let a broody hatch the eggs and raise the chicks whenever possible. It is much less work for me and it is fun to watch the hen teach the chicks all they need to know. My first hens were from a hatchery and I did not expect any of them to become broody, but they had other ideas. Even my turkeys and Pekin ducks go broody and have hatched eggs. When I am hatching eggs for someone who will be getting the chicks as one-day-olds I use an incubator. It is easier to predict when they will hatch and I don't have to take the chicks from their mothers. I have had an incubator going none stop since March and have had broodies sitting on eggs as well.

I have had both broody and incubator.

The broody hen this season was my welsummer.
I found out she was broody because I heard all the ladies arguing every morning for a few days. Sonic, the welsummer was in THE BEST NESTING BOX and even though there are 9 other boxes, all the ladies just HAD TO USE that box. The arguing went on for hours and I would go out to see it was sonic in the middle.
She just refused to leave the box. I just shrugged and let her keep the eggs.

She got so skinny over those three weeks.
I worried and would bring her food... pampered hen. She loves that!

The incubators have been fun. I feel more involved. I even took some eggs that had been in fridge for a few weeks and set them not expecting all to hatch!

I raise both broody and non- broody breeds. For the simple reason that most production breeds are boring. I raise a few of the fancy and odd looking chickens to add some eye appeal and attitude to my flock. I hatch a lot of eggs from incubators. I will also let a broody hatch a clutch of eggs and have also given incubator hatched chicks to broody hens to raise. I like to use an incubator as I don't always have a broody available when eggs are ready to be set. If I have a broody setting I will give her some eggs, for like myself I want a hen to have positive results for her efforts. If I have met the limit of chickens that I have space and resources for I will take steps to stop a hen from being broody. There is no need to let her go through the process for no return on her investment. In chickens, like people behavior depends on the individual. I have handled incubator chicks daily only to have them be barely tolerant of me. I have also had a hen raised chick leave it's mama to eat from my hand and let pet him. That is the fun of raising anything. It is a constant learning experience and there are always surprises.

Back
Top Bottom