Where is Black Cochin SOP thread??

Check out the Cochins International page for the male Cochin SOP. For SOP on colours you'll want to find a copy of the SOP book from APA/ABA.

For reference here is link for the 1910 SOP, the standard for black probably hasn't changed much since then 😉
https://archive.org/details/americanstandard00ameriala
THANKS.

Knowing the SOP is half the battle. Knowing how to get there is the ither half.

I’m glad you’re eager to learn and love to see people interested in the SOP.
Okay, bronzing is a 1/2 to 2 point defect, but red or yellow in the plumage is a disqualification.

Ok. These feathers are not red, as in red of a good RIR. Rather a brown. And not yellow like seen in hackle feathers of BCM occassionally.

Will see how he molts out over next few months.

My birds are bred to the Standard and I will occasionally have male birds that at a young age have a mossy brown or red feather, these will usually molt out as the bird matures much like the white feathers they have as chicks. Give them time, if they persist into adulthood then cull them and keep only the solid black birds. By the way, what color are his legs and feet?
Best wishes in your Cochin endeavor.

Blessings,

Bo

My birds are bred to the Standard and I will occasionally have male birds that at a young age have a mossy brown or red feather, these will usually molt out as the bird matures much like the white feathers they have as chicks. Give them time, if they persist into adulthood then cull them and keep only the solid black birds. By the way, what color are his legs and feet?
Best wishes in your Cochin endeavor.

Blessings,

Bo

Thank you Bo for sharing your experience. This is exactly what I needed.

Legs/feet.... will have a look and post info. I know what I think they are, but want to be absolutely sure.

Can I ask what the egg size is on your birds?? Am I off base crossing the blacks with supposedly bigger egg size on to the Blues to increase their egg size.........

Back
Top Bottom